Home » News » Public Safety
Haverhill man receives call every homeowner dreads
Fire broke out Monday morning at a home off Route 116 in Haverhill. Several area fire departments responded to the scene. (BOB HOOKWAY/Union Leader Correspondent)
The three-bedroom, single-floor home he renovated last year is about 40-years-old, he said, and sets on a rural stretch of Route 116 not far from the Benton line.
The drive of about 10 miles brought him to his Davis Realty office in the heart of Woodsville, Haverhill's business district. He said later Monday morning he had left his home at 8:40.
Davis said he lived alone, and was grateful that no one was injured in the fire.
By midmorning, there must have been 20 fire engines lined up outside his house as area departments responded. Crews blocked off the highway and turned around the relatively few motorists who came by in either direction. The bright sun and clear sky belied the morning temperature that stood at 10 degrees. The flames were gone by then, but thick smoke continued to pour from the windows and along the ridgeline.
"They had redone the whole place last summer, new roof, new vinyl siding," she said in a telephone interview shortly after firefighters cleared the scene at around 2 p.m.
Davis said the state Fire Marshal's Office was working to determine the cause.
"I was heating with propane and wood. I did burn firewood; that's always suspect when there's a house fire. But I had a triple-lined chimney," Davis said, as he prepared to make an unplanned shopping trip.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Rochester 10-year-old, grandmother escape fire in home with no smoke detectors - 0
- Authorities say smoking ignited oxygen in Derry apartment building fire - 1
- Motorcyclist flown to Maine hospital following crash on Route 125 - 0
- Londonderry police to open station to residents - 0
- Affair, threats alleged in Weare police chief investigation - 9
- Cause of 3-alarm Derry fire remains under investigation - 0
- Claremont police warn public about suspicious soda bottles - 1
- Mechanical failure ruled out in fatal plane crash that claimed lives of two Kingston men - 0
- UPDATED: Cause of three-alarm Derry blaze under investigation - 1
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Kuster, Shea-Porter split on vote to arm Syrian rebels - 0
- Man arrested in White Park stabbing in Concord - 0
- Two arrested, car and cash seized in SWAT raid, drug bust at South Mammoth Road home in Manchester - 0
- Dean Kamen is a genius inventor, and he's pretty good at oratory, too - 3
- Tom Herzig's Trackside: Modified tour is shortened - 0
- Patriots Notebook: Pats wary of veteran playmaker Woodson - 0
- College Football: Expect offense when Richmond, UNH meet - 0
- Young fighters' dreams on display tonight at Fight to Educate - 0
- Drew Cline: When Republicans turn off Republicans - 7
Two arrested, car and cash seized in SWAT raid, drug bust at South Mammoth Road home in Manchester
Keene man charged with assault on 2-year-old
Another View -- Bill Duncan: What did the NH Supreme Court really say about private school funding?
Every vote counts: Here is the proof
Casino gambles: Hopes dashed all over
Havenstein says Christie backing a 'boost'