Home » News » Public Safety
Northwood fire prompts firefighters to urge residents to clean chimneys
Residents escaped a chimney fire that damaged a home at 51 Old Dump Road in Northwood on Monday morning. John Quinn/Union Leader
NORTHWOOD — While no one was injured, an elderly couple must stay with their son after a chimney fire spread into the walls of their home Monday morning.
Police firefighters and emergency personnel responded to 51 Old Dump Road at 10:29 a.m. after the residents smelled a burning odor and smoke singed their eyes, which caused them to leave the home.
The fire spread from the chimney to the nearby wall, which forced firefighters to open up the side of the home and disable the lines to the home’s oil heater. As a result, the home is uninhabitable during the cold temperatures.
Fire Lt. Dave Wakeman said firefighters from Northwood were assisted by crews from Deerfield, Epsom, Nottingham, Pittsfield and Strafford.
Wakeman said it’s important to clean chimneys, furnaces and fireplaces before cold weather sets in.
“The rule of thumb is twice a year,” Wakeman said, adding he recommends cleaning chimneys before the cold sets in and half-way through the winter.
Wakeman said chimney fires are caused by a build-up of creosote, a natural by-product of burning wood, which funnels the heat and can be dangerous.
He said residents should take notice when there is a sharp increase in temperatures around the stove pipe or if they hear a crackling sound in the wall.
“With a free burning fire, it sounds like a train going by,” Wakeman said, adding by this time, residents should evacuate the home and call firefighters.
“It’s better to err on the side of caution,” Wakeman said.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Weare shakes its head at police department saga - 1
- Keene State College students clean up after mayhem, say weekend riots were not their fault - 3
- Londonderry man killed in I-495 off-ramp crash identified - 0
- American Ambulance Service gets accreditation from industry group - 0
- Canaan man dies after vehicle falls on him - 1
- Police say party near Keene State got out of control, became 'mass casualty incident' - 19
- KSC president 'saddened and disheartened' at Pumpkin Festival mayhem - 2
- More violence at Keene - 3
- Londonderry man killed in Massachusetts motorcycle crash - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Flash mob workshop will be a 'Thriller' - 0
- Former Royals slugger and current Giants scout Balboni's heart remains with San Francisco - 0
- Sam Asano's Let's Invent: The pesky problem of financing inventions - 0
- Your Turn, NH -- Kelley Tambouris: I am a Manchester teacher, and I need more support - 0
- What rising tide? Kuster vs. Kennedy - 1
- Government thinks it's your right not to know - 0
- On Obamacare: Shaheen doesn't get it - 2
- Two nonprofits receive a 'quick' $25,000 after pitch - 0
- Big step forward for Littleton outdoor footwear manufacturer - 0
Keene Pumpkin Festival has uncertain future
Keene State College students clean up after mayhem, say weekend riots were not their fault
Monitoring social media
Shaheen, in Hooksett, rallies with union
After riots, soul-searching begins
On Obamacare: Shaheen doesn't get it
What rising tide? Kuster vs. Kennedy