Home » News » Public Safety
Northwood fire prompts firefighters to urge residents to clean chimneys
Residents escaped a chimney fire that damaged a home at 51 Old Dump Road in Northwood on Monday morning. John Quinn/Union Leader
NORTHWOOD — While no one was injured, an elderly couple must stay with their son after a chimney fire spread into the walls of their home Monday morning.
Police firefighters and emergency personnel responded to 51 Old Dump Road at 10:29 a.m. after the residents smelled a burning odor and smoke singed their eyes, which caused them to leave the home.
The fire spread from the chimney to the nearby wall, which forced firefighters to open up the side of the home and disable the lines to the home’s oil heater. As a result, the home is uninhabitable during the cold temperatures.
Fire Lt. Dave Wakeman said firefighters from Northwood were assisted by crews from Deerfield, Epsom, Nottingham, Pittsfield and Strafford.
Wakeman said it’s important to clean chimneys, furnaces and fireplaces before cold weather sets in.
“The rule of thumb is twice a year,” Wakeman said, adding he recommends cleaning chimneys before the cold sets in and half-way through the winter.
Wakeman said chimney fires are caused by a build-up of creosote, a natural by-product of burning wood, which funnels the heat and can be dangerous.
He said residents should take notice when there is a sharp increase in temperatures around the stove pipe or if they hear a crackling sound in the wall.
“With a free burning fire, it sounds like a train going by,” Wakeman said, adding by this time, residents should evacuate the home and call firefighters.
“It’s better to err on the side of caution,” Wakeman said.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Investigators release sketch of man who may have driven Abigail away - 1
- Supporters ask for patience in Abby Hernandez case while authorities sort it all out - 9
- Package found at Manchester federal building was harmless - 0
- Tractor-trailer carrying glass rolls over at I-93-Route 101 interchange in Manchester - 0
- Contact lost with Air Algerie plane carrying 116 people from Burkina Faso - 0
- New Ipswich man dies in motorcycle, truck collision - 0
- Two hurt in crash on Everett Turnpike involving tractor-trailer - 0
- Lightning likely cause of Manchester apartment building fire - 0
- Motorcyclist seriously injured in Jaffrey crash - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Another View -- Jayne Millerick: Dems scaring women by misleading them on contraception - 0
- Basket case: Saga of a supermarket - 0
- Patriots Notebook: Ongoing renovations in Foxborough - 0
- Three years later, investigation continues into homicide of Celina Cass - 0
- Nashua celebration in the works for Medal of Honor recipient - 0
- Fisher Cats down Senators in road trip opener - 0
- No water for Manchester sewer bill scofflaws? - 0
- New Boston mulch processing plant plans under review - 0
- Manchester Crimewatch: Defense attorney seeks home confinement for drug addict - 0
Market Basket walkout a future case study
UPDATED: Thousands of Market Basket employees rally; company board issues statement on purchase offer, reaffirms support for new CEOs
Basket case: Saga of a supermarket