Home » News » Public Safety
Underground propane leak prompts Lebanon evacuation
Firefighters responded at about 8:30 p.m. after getting a report that a loud pop was followed by a hissing sound and the smell of gas. Crews found that a leak had developed in the area of the valve assembly cover, but the valve area of the tank was encased in ice.
The general alarm was sounded to bring additional crews and equipment and two nearby apartment buildings were evacuated; the residents were given temporary shelter at a nearby firehouse.
Irving Propane crews initially could not find the source of the leak or start repairs until after Lebanon Public Works crews arrived with a steam culvert thawing unit to clear the ice from the area of the valve. Once the ice was melted, an Irving worker tightened the valve.
Officials said it appeared that expanding ice in the valve pit forced the main fill valve open, allowing gas to escape.
No injuries or property damage was reported and residents returned to their apartments at about 11:30 p.m.
READER COMMENTS: 1
- Talk of 'wings on pigs' threats on police tests U.S. speech rights - 0
- Brentwood police look to increase coverage after officer's death in May - 4
- Londonderry schools placed on lockdown after soldier's unplanned visit to high school causes alarm - 40
- Police investigate report of shots fired - 0
- Manchester blaze that left dozens homeless was accidental - 0
- Milford woman injured in Bedford crash - 0
- Park on any side of the street in Manchester during Christmas week - 0
- NYC mayor wants protests on hold after police deaths - 0
- Mother of two says she's lucky, even though condo destroyed in blaze - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Two Manchester women arrested in separate shoplifting incidents in Hooksett - 1
- Maine police search car belonging to husband of Londonderry shooting victim - 0
- Man arrested after chase, threatening to shoot police in Bow - 0
- Good Samaritan pins Manchester purse snatcher - 0
- Homeless man who saved woman from river: 'I don't consider myself a hero' - 9
- High School Basketball: Rivalries renewed in QCIBT - 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: Will they get everything on their list? - 0
- Tuohy brothers add new restaurant in familiar spot - 0
- New Horizons volunteers deliver groceries and good cheer, making Christmas special - 0
Londonderry schools placed on lockdown after soldier's unplanned visit to high school causes alarm