NH Ukranians fear Putin's ego motives
"In the 20 years that the Ukraine has been free, the educational system has been revitalized, the church has a been revitalized, people are more aware of what is going on in the world," Smolley said. "When the Ukraine was part of the Soviet Union, news was filtered by the government and people were not aware of world situations as they are now."
"The fear would be that if there is a realignment with Moscow that especially the Ukrainian Catholic Church would come under gross attack just as it did before the Ukraine received freedom and the church was re-established."
"Putin is an egotist and he would just be sticking another feather in his cap if he said 'I can take back the Ukraine, the biggest of the Soviet bloc countries that received their independence,'" Smolley said. "It would show how easy it would be to go back and annex Georgia and some of those other countries; there is a great deal at stake."
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Gunman among 3 dead after police storm Australia cafe - 0
- Hostages held in Australia Lindt Cafe, forced to hold Islamic flag in window - 0
- Iraq presses Hagel for greater U.S. military support against ISIS - 0
- Graphic report on CIA interrogations, torture released by Senate Democrats - 10
- U.S., South African hostages in Yemen killed in rescue attempt by U.S. SEAL team - 1
- Islamic State targeted in 17 air strikes by U.S., allies - 0
- ISIS kills US aid worker who had been held hostage - 0
- NH Guard members buoyed by deployment ceremony - 0
- U.S. helicopters return to combat missions in Iraq - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Dave D'Onfrio's Patriots Notebook: Finding a way to win - 0
- Sam Asano's Let's Invent: NoNose gets readers talking like nobody's business - 0
- Another View -- Bill O'Brien: Ask your state rep. to vote for transparency in the House - 0
- Old friends and a 'homeless angel' make for good stories anytime - 0
- Clooney gets it: Sony attack was not a 'crime' - 0
- New coats warm city kids, firefighters' hearts - 0
- NHIAA Roundup: Martin, Pinkerton top Salem in tournament - 0
- Inmate reported missing from Concord transitional unit - 0
- College Roundup: SNHU women win - 0
The Sony hack: Kim's judgment of Obama
Tensions boil over after NYC police killings
'Everybody was extremely fortunate'