Home » News » Public Safety
Name of Derry fire victim, cause of blaze released
The New Hampshire Medical Examiner's Office said Michael Lacharite, 48, died from smoke inhalation. The cause of the blaze was attributed to misuse of smoking materials near papers and trash, according to a news release.
No smoke detectors were located on the main level of the house, where tLacharite was found. One smoke alarm was found in the basement, but it was about 20 years old and might not have worked, according fire officials.
The first alarm came in at 12:59 a.m., and fire crews arrived within three minutes, Gagnon said. They encountered heavy fire and were unable to enter the home, he said.
"We would shoot the bull for five or 10 minutes across the yard, that kind of stuff. I never really got to know him too much."
Poor said his neighbor worked in the building trades and commuted regularly to Boston. He had lived alone in the house since his wife died last summer, Poor said.
READER COMMENTS: 2
- Farmington school evacuated for bomb threat; police say kids are safe - 0
- Claremont elementary school to get safer sidewalks - 0
- Fire leaves Derry family of four homeless - 0
- Homeless man rescues woman who jumped from Granite Street Bridge - 2
- Propane driver saved from waist-deep mud - 0
- Update: Men target practicing face felonies after report of shots fired in Hooksett - 5
- One-alarm fire kept to chimney area of Bridgewater home - 0
- Nashua woman hurt in Pelham crash - 0
- Man hurt in fall from tree stand in Swanzey - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- State House Dome: Just past Concord session a mixed bag - 0
- Monarchs squeak by Bruins - 0
- Memorial hockey shuts out Trinity - 0
- Dover's Parratto a national champion - 0
- UNH defense comes up big against Redbirds - 0
- St. Anselm men knock off Post - 0
- Leadership, defense made Katie Bishop, of Conway, an All-American - 0
- Jet menace faltered under Rex - 0
- Strong start lifts Bedford to win - 0
UNH loses to Illinois State
Nashua police left rattled by tot's death
A new era for Nashua's police force
'Everybody was extremely fortunate'