This Week's Rare Bird Alert
Birders on a boat cruise out of Hampton on Sunday, Feb. 23 reported the following sightings in New Hampshire waters: 32 northern fulmars, four northern gannets, a great cormorant, 466 dovekies, 16 common murres, seven thick-billed murres, four unidentified murres, 60 razorbills, 86 unidentified large alcids, eight black guillemots, 17 Atlantic puffins, 297 black-legged kittiwakes, a Bonaparte’s gull, a ring-billed gull, 35 herring gulls, two Iceland gulls, 80 great black-backed gulls, and an American pipit.
At least two snowy owls continued to be reported in New Hampshire during the past week including one along the coast in Rye, and one in the Hampton and Seabrook marsh area.
A flock of 18 snow buntings was reported from Rye, 58 were seen in Woodsville, 10 were seen in Monroe, 42 were seen in Littleton, and 10 were seen in Newmarket all on Feb. 23. A flock of 90 snow buntings was seen in Lyme and a flock of 25 was seen in Hampton Falls, both on the 19th, and a flock of 30 was seen in Plainfield on Feb. 20.
A great cormorant and a pair of red-breasted mergansers were reported from Nashua on Feb. 22.
A flock of 17 ring-necked ducks was seen on the Connecticut River in Hinsdale on Feb. 20, and there were a few reports of wood ducks from scattered locations during the past week.
A merlin and a red-shouldered hawk were seen in Salem on Feb. 20.
A red-shouldered hawk was seen in Rye on Feb. 20, and one was seen in Portsmouth on the 22nd.
A flock of 22 brown-headed cowbirds was seen at the Lyme/Orford town line on Feb. 19.
This message is also available by phone recording: call 224-9909 and press 2 as directed or ask to be transferred. If you have seen any interesting birds recently, you can leave a message at the end of the recording or send your sightings to the RBA via e-mail at: firstname.lastname@example.org. Please put either “bird sighting” or “Rare Bird Alert” in the subject line and be sure to include your mailing address and phone number. The RBA is also available on-line at the New Hampshire Audubon web site, www.nhaudubon.org.
READER COMMENTS: 3
- Another View -- Cass Sunstein: A salute to the graceful silence of George W. Bush - 7
- David Harsanyi : Run, Liz, run! - 16
- Another View -- Bill O'Brien: Ask your state rep. to vote for transparency in the House - 43
- Another View -- Harold Meyerson: The right underestimates Elizabeth Warren's appeal - 39
- Jonah Goldberg: There was a time when we stood up to threats against free speech - 2
- Why I voted against the 'CRomnibus' spending bill - 20
- Another View -- Devon Chaffee: Why interrogators believe America should never torture - 2
- David Harsanyi: GOP establishment, stop whining - 0
- John Stossel: Individual giving beats government giving - 4
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Two Manchester women arrested in separate shoplifting incidents in Hooksett - 1
- Maine police search car belonging to husband of Londonderry shooting victim - 0
- Man arrested after chase, threatening to shoot police in Bow - 0
- Good Samaritan pins Manchester purse snatcher - 0
- Homeless man who saved woman from river: 'I don't consider myself a hero' - 9
- High School Basketball: Rivalries renewed in QCIBT - 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: Will they get everything on their list? - 0
- Tuohy brothers add new restaurant in familiar spot - 0
- New Horizons volunteers deliver groceries and good cheer, making Christmas special - 0
Londonderry schools placed on lockdown after soldier's unplanned visit to high school causes alarm
Police say woman tried to steal 15 iPads