Home » News » Public Safety
Officials seek answers to fire on idle locomotive in Newfields
Mechanics inspect a train on tracks near the Route 108 bridge in Newfields Wednesday after it was damaged by a fire Tuesday night. JASON SCHREIBER
The fire broke out around 9:30 p.m. in a utility compartment in the engine and caused extensive smoke and fire damage, Police Officer Guy Philbrook said.
"Our machinists and mechanical people are very talented and well-trained. They come in and inspect and will find out the cause," she said.
"It just engulfed the engineer's compartment from below," Philbrook said.
It's not uncommon for engines to be left running overnight. Scarano said locomotives don't have antifreeze in the diesel engines and that they have to stay running to keep them warm.
Firefighters cleared the scene shortly after 11 p.m.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Victim identified in fatal Pelham motorcycle accident - 0
- Man killed in Pelham motorcycle accident identified as local man, 24 - 0
- Manchester man seriously injured after driving into oncoming traffic - 0
- Derry police continue to look for missing gun left in courthouse bathroom - 0
- Backyard boulder kills Raymond homeowner - 2
- Merrimack police find car sticking into road, charge man - 0
- Police say impairment and speed not factors in fatal crash in Conway - 0
- Manchester man sustains life-threatening injuries in Bedford crash - 0
- Barrington man, 41, dies in cycle crash - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Scott and Genevieve Kelley - 0
- Market Basket deal reached; Arthur T. Demoulas to return - 1
- Police mum on reported shooting in Manchester - 0
- Manchester men charged with drive-by shooting in Nashua - 0
- Multiple reports say deal reached for Arthur T. to buy Market Basket - 0
- Fisher Cats get behind early, fall to Senators - 0
- Sox downed on pinch-hit homer - 0
- Sister of accused Boston marathon bombers arrested after bomb threat - 0
- Authorities mum about reports of shooting in Manchester - 0
Reports: Market Basket doomsday plan would shutter 61 of 71 stores if deal not struck soon
GOP for legal pot? Hemignway's high help
Ohio's Rob Portman: GOP can win back Senate