Home » News » Public Safety
Freight train fire under investigation in Newfields
The fire was reported around 9:30 p.m. and appears to have started in a utility compartment in the engine, said Officer Guy Philbrook.
The engine and a single boxcar from Maine Central Railroad Co. were sitting on a spur track about 100 feet south of the Route 108 railroad bridge between Newfields and Newmarket. A spur is a small inactive side track that connects to the main tracks.
Philbrook said the train was idling at the time, but it was unoccupied. He said it's not uncommon for trains to be parked and left running overnight.
The fire didn't ignite fuel on the train, he said.
"It just engulfed the engineer's compartment from below," Philbrook said.
Firefighters cleared the scene shortly after 11 p.m.
The cause of the fire is under investigation.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- UPDATE: Search suspended for Northfield man a second day - 0
- Serious Concord crash injures Mass. woman - 0
- Concord police seek help locating homeless man - 0
- Barrington home destroyed in two-alarm blaze - 0
- Annual banquet on April 23 honors police, fire and EMS - 0
- I-93 crash under investigation - 0
- Body of missing NH man found in Vermont - 0
- Police seeking heroin epidemic answers - 0
- Teen ejected in Candia rollover - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Portsmouth arrests 2 for heroin sales - 2
- Two crashes reported on I-93 in Canterbury, Londonderry - 0
- Student brings knife into Nashua school - 0
- Ex-director jailed for theft from Londonderry nursery school - 1
- Anonymous email was 'malicious,' says Auburn police commissioner - 0
- Senate votes to ban hand-held cellphone use in cars; bill heads back to House - 10
- Auburn town administrator under fire - 0
- Belmont High likely will keep Red Raider mascot - 3
- Ice-out on WInnipesaukee expected by late next week - 0
Manchester mayor: 'It's the tax cap budget'
Derry woman accused of burglaries
Another View -- Jeff Goley and Will Infantine: Time for an increase in weekly benefits for NH unemployed
Portsmouth arrests 2 for heroin sales