Home » News » Public Safety
Freight train fire under investigation in Newfields
The fire was reported around 9:30 p.m. and appears to have started in a utility compartment in the engine, said Officer Guy Philbrook.
The engine and a single boxcar from Maine Central Railroad Co. were sitting on a spur track about 100 feet south of the Route 108 railroad bridge between Newfields and Newmarket. A spur is a small inactive side track that connects to the main tracks.
Philbrook said the train was idling at the time, but it was unoccupied. He said it's not uncommon for trains to be parked and left running overnight.
The fire didn't ignite fuel on the train, he said.
"It just engulfed the engineer's compartment from below," Philbrook said.
Firefighters cleared the scene shortly after 11 p.m.
The cause of the fire is under investigation.
READER COMMENTS: 5
- State revokes license for New Hampshire childcare center amid abuse allegations - 1
- Downed wires shuts Concord street - 0
- Quick-acting Litchfield woman jumps into canoe and paddles to rescue of kayaker - 1
- Man's story about stab wound questioned by Laconia police - 0
- Two fires in Manchester - 0
- Indictments issued in fatal crashes in Dover, Barrington, Rochester - 1
- Father of missing Conway teen says he wants custody of his daughter - 0
- Mass. man safe after crashing plane into Lake Winnipesaukee - 0
- Lebanon police lieutenant resigns during internal probe into faking of fitness test results - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Hudson woman, Nashua man accused of cooking meth - 1
- Hollis citizens speaking out against controversial gas pipeline - 4
- UNH library halts book disposal after complaints - 0
- Tom Herzig's Trackside: Valenti Modified race was top shelf - 0
- Manchester school official points to 7 weapons cases not brought to conduct committee - 0
- Edie Loeb Tomasko dies, leaves UpReach Therapeutic Riding Center legacy - 1
- Witt named UNH women’s hockey coach - 0
- Ian Clark's High School Lacrosse: Bedford boys remains focused on third title - 0
- Fisher Cats steal home, beat New Britain - 0
Younger of two brothers convicted of murdering parents quietly released after 18 years in prison
Michigan’s ban: Sotomayor’s ‘disadvantages’