Roger Simon: Who are the real thugs?
It's the day after Thanksgiving 2012, and four teenagers are sitting in a Dodge Durango outside a convenience store in Jacksonville, Fla.
The Durango is red, which is unimportant. The teenagers are black, which is important.
The situation escalates. Dunn claims seeing one teenager pushing open the door of the Durango. (This is later denied by the teenagers.) Dunn also claims that he sees a weapon in the Durango. "I saw a barrel come up on the window, like a single-shot shotgun. . It was either a barrel or a stick," Dunn tells police. "I'm s--ing bricks, but that's when I reached in my glove box, unholstered my pistol . and so quicker than a flash, I had a round chambered in it, and I shot." Dunn says he always keeps the pistol loaded.
Hey, this Florida. The Gunshine State.
Dunn fires four shots into the Durango. The Durango pulls away. Dunn gets out of his car and aims again at the teenagers' vehicle. "I was still scared, and so I shot four more times . trying to keep their heads down to not catch any return fire. And that was it," Dunn says later.
Davis, a high-school junior, had just gotten a job at McDonald's to earn extra money. At Thanksgiving dinner, the day before he was shot, he thanked God for his family and especially his mom.
He pleads not guilty, saying he shot in self-defense.
Dunn's lawyer at trial, Cory Strolla, tells the jury: "God didn't make all men equal. Colt did. Colt is a firearm. (Dunn) had every right under the law to not be a victim, to be judged by 12 rather than carried by six."
In both the Zimmerman case and the Dunn case, armed white men shot and killed unarmed black teenagers.
But who are the real thugs, the unarmed black kids who play loud music or walk to stores to buy Skittles or the white guys who are armed to the teeth and quick on the trigger?
READER COMMENTS: 9
- Deroy Murdock: The indictment of Rick Perry is bizarre and unfounded - 0
- Another View - Marc Champion: A strong terror policy would cure Obama's golf woes - 0
- Jonah Goldberg: Obama confuses the TV world with the real one - 1
- George Will: In defense of the defenders - 0
- Roger Simon: Is Ferguson the future? - 0
- Charles Krauthammer: Stopping the worst people on earth - 0
- Lynn Preston's NH Legal Perspectives: What prospective real estate purchasers need to know - 0
- Gail Fisher's Dog Tracks: 'Mirror' approach reflects important role of humans in dog training - 0
- Thomas Sowell: The media and the mob - 1
READER COMMENTS: 0
- NH Motor Speedway to again host two Sprint Cup Series weekends in 2015 - 0
- St. Anselm football players practice ini August heat - 0
- White, Glenn lift Fisher Cats over Harrisburg, 6-4 - 0
- KSC field hockey first in coaches poll - 0
- New England Patriots guard Mankins traded to Tampa for TE Wright - 0
- NH Fisher Cat Lee still striving for making it to the major leagues - 0
- Former city restaurateur gets jail sentence for sex assault - 0
- Former high school art teacher gets suspended sentence in drug case - 0
- New Manchester school district standards to give teachers more leeway - 0
Backyard boulder kills Raymond homeowner
Market Basket: 'So close, yet so far'
GOP for legal pot? Hemignway's high help
Reports: Market Basket doomsday plan would shutter 61 of 71 stores if deal not struck soon
Ohio's Rob Portman: GOP can win back Senate