Home » News » Public Safety
College student from Rye reported missing in Rome
John Durkin, a junior economics major and member of the football team at the Lewiston, Maine, college, was with a study-abroad program run by Trinity College, Hartford, Conn., when he was reported missing, according to a statement on the Bates College website.
"This situation is deeply distressing for John's family, his fellow students and the entire Bates community. We are working actively with Trinity College to monitor events as they evolve, and we will share information as it becomes available," the statement said.
Bates College spokeswoman Meg Kimmel said Durkin was among six Bates students in the program and that his father was flying to Rome on Friday night to help with the search.
Trinity College is working with the Italian authorities to determine the circumstances surrounding his disappearance, the statement said.
According to Durkin's Facebook page, he went to high school at Governor's Academy in Byfield, Mass., graduating in 2011.
His cousin, Tommy Durkin, posted on his Facebook page that Durkin was last seen "late at night in a bar" with a few other Americans on Wednesday and "hasn't been seen since." Tommy Durkin said John Durkin's uncle was in Rome on Friday to meet with police and the U.S. Embassy there, and that John Durkin's father was on his way to Rome.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Assisted living facility proposed for Londonderry - 0
- Plaistow police chief passes away after battle with cancer - 0
- Fire damages building at Jaffrey transfer station - 0
- Manchester chief now one of 2 finalists for Somerville post - 0
- Coco is back in jail, but maybe not for long - 2
- Jaffrey fire at transfer station - 0
- Manchester police chief a finalist for Somerville job - 2
- Officials probe fire at Jaffrey trash sorting building - 0
- Missing Conway girl's mother not giving up hope - 2
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Portland Sea Dogs get past NH Fisher Cats in righty’s first AA start of season - 0
- Keene Swamp Bats edge Sanford in NECBL action - 0
- Manchester's Hanover St. block party kicks off block party season - 0
- Little, MacDonald 1-2 in wild K&N 100 in Loudon - 0
- Kyle Busch focused leading up to Camping World RV Sales 301 - 0
- Somersworth man charged in three incidents - 0
- Hosts hoping for extended Little League district final - 0
- Manchester forums will allow public to question principal finalists - 0
- NH Supreme Court: Indigent woman entitled to state-funded services - 0
Coco is back in jail, but maybe not for long
Outrageous waste: You overpaid by how much?
Another View -- Tiler Eaton: The Northern Pass project would help, not hurt, NH's economy
Bikers say under-30 generation isn't interested, and can't afford many of the top motorcycles
With the NASCAR fans, Jr.'s The Man
VA woes across the country led NH to reforms
Alewives and leeches; fireworks in the rain