Roger Simon: The campaign war against citizen journalists
They do not believe that journalism is agenda-free or that a journalist's only agenda is to report the truth without "fear or favor."
What really got candidates in trouble in the most recent two presidential campaigns? Comments made by candidates who assumed no reporters were in the room.
Clinton also told crowds that her father taught her to shoot when she was young. "Americans who believe in the Second Amendment believe it's a constitutional right," Clinton said. "Americans who believe in God believe it's a matter of personal faith."
The Obama campaign was furious with Fowler, saying she had attended a donor-only, closed-press event and then had betrayed the campaign by acting like a journalist.
"I'm 61," she said in another interview.
But she was. Typically, reporters are forbidden by their employers to contribute to political campaigns, but Fowler didn't view herself as operating under such conventional rules.
In May 2012, Mitt Romney held a $50,000-per-plate off-the-record fundraiser at a private home in Boca Raton, Fla., where he delivered what became known as his "47 percent" remarks.
To some, they represented the remarks of an uncaring fat cat. Romney denied that but was forced to reply: "Well, um, it's not elegantly stated; let me put it that way."
"Actually, I didn't say that," Romney told Balz. "That's how it began to be perceived, and so I had to ultimately respond to the perception, because perception is reality."
Roger Simon is Politico's chief political columnist.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Brandon Ross: A sure-fire way to eradicate NH's 'spice' problem - 1
- Another View: Jeanne Shaheen was M.I.A. on VA reform - 24
- Paul Holloway: NH's community colleges prepare for a new era - 2
- Betsy McCaughey: More ways Washington squanders your money - 5
- Pat Buchanan: Let Congress vote on Iraq War III - 1
- Who is minding those who mind the store at NH State House? - 4
- Jonah Goldberg: America's selective Libertarianism - 6
- Charles Krauthammer: Why Hillary got it right - 11
- George Will: President Obama in a stew over inversions - 1
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Traffic signal stop leads to drug arrest in Merrimack - 0
- NH Fisher Cats slam way to win over Trenton - 0
- Officials hire principal for Golden Brook school - 0
- Seniors help students start year on the right foot, with the write stuff - 0
- Derry councilors select semi-finalists for town admin job - 0
- Plaistow begins search for new police chief - 0
- Without an exemption, Goffstown resident must pay high taxes on solar energy panels - 1
- Upcoming selectmen's meeting stirring controversy among Bow's firefighters - 1
- Manchester police to hold ‘Coffee with a Cop’ event - 0
Derry to NH: Take Exit 4A
Editorial: Garcia gains Lambert lies
ISIS beheads NH journalist