Woodstove causes Plaistow fireBy Adam Swift
Union Leader correspondent
February 12. 2014 11:16AM
PLAISTOW – Ashes from a woodstove started a second-floor kitchen fire at 5 Glendale Circle on Wednesday morning.
The call for the one-alarm fire came into the Plaistow Fire Department shortly after 9 a.m.
"The crews were here fairly quickly and it was a quick knockdown," said Fire Chief John McArdle.
There were no injuries as a result of the fire, but the owner was carried out because she wasn't wearing any shoes, according to the chief. She was taken to a neighbor's house while crews fought the fire.
Initially, the owner thought the fire originated in the woodstove she was cleaning.
However, McArdle said ashes placed in a metal bin caught onto some nearby wood, leading to the fire. The fire worked its way through the wall, but was contained to the second floor kitchen.
By 10:30 a.m., fire crews had cleared the scene and insurance adjustors were on hand to appraise the damage.