Home » News » Public Safety
Officials say cause of Woodshed restaurant fire may never be determined
This fire destroyed the Woodshed Restaurant in Moultonborough in November. (DAN SEUFERT/Union Leader Correspondent)
Investigators from the state Fire Marshal's office say they are still investigating witness accounts and are seeking new information about the fire from Woodshed employees and residents, but they still have not found the cause of the fire that leveled the 19th-century building that was once a farmhouse.
The last person in the restaurant left just before 9 p.m., employees said. The fire was reported just before 10 p.m., and by 11 p.m. the building was engulfed in flames.
Ouellette has said the owners will most likely not rebuild the restaurant, saying last month it would be impossible to recreate the restaurant.
Firefighters said the fire spread through the building quickly because of its age and all of the "fuel" for the fire inside — the mementos, books, ornaments and other items that helped give the restaurant its character, according to Ouellette.
Investigators who can't find a clear cause usually begin trying to rule out causes.
"If the destruction is such that very little is left, it's hard to rule out much, so the investigation can be lengthy or a cause may never be found. That's not uncommon," Carrier said.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Father of missing Conway teen says he wants custody of his daughter - 0
- Mass. man safe after crashing plane into Lake Winnipesaukee - 0
- Lebanon police lieutenant resigns during internal probe into faking of fitness test results - 0
- Hampton man still in critical condition from Rte. 125 crash - 0
- UPDATE: Pilot OK after Lake Winnipesaukee plane crash - 0
- Hampton man in critical condition after crash on Route 125 - 0
- Concord water main break diverts traffic - 0
- Claremont convent ravaged by fire to be razed - 0
- Hampton woman pulled from truck, in hospital after I-95 crash - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Ellsbury propels Yanks over Sox - 0
- Bruins shut out Wings - 0
- Phaneuf leads Derryfield laxers past Pelham - 0
- High School Volleyball results - 0
- Manchester Crimewatch: Teen recruited juvenile for burglaries - 0
- Cell phones, speakers stolen in separate incidents - 0
- House committee opposes bill to keep mental health records out of federal gun checks - 0
- Police say three lured contractor to robbery through Craigslist - 0
- Derry library's proposed 2015 budget moves forward - 0
Younger of two brothers convicted of murdering parents quietly released after 18 years in prison
High School Volleyball results
Bruins shut out Wings
Shaheen touts land conservation fund
Prepare to pay more to park in Manchester
Secret arrests? Not if we can help it
Latest Groton wind farm fight: Snow plowing