Nashua restaurant, students team to fight school vacation hunger
The Amherst Street Elementary School, Nashua high school students and UNO pizzeria restaurant in Nashua are hosting a food drive and dough raiser to help put food on the table for students who will not have access to free and reduced lunches during February and April school vacations.
“Childhood hunger is not just a national problem, it’s a local problem as well,” she said, noting 75 percent of the students at Amherst Street Elementary School receive free and reduced lunches. Some of those families are on a waiting list to receive a backpack full of food to feed their family on the weekends, part of the Amherst Street Backpack Food Pantry Program, added Caron.
In addition, UNO is hosting a dough raiser to benefit the program. Diners must bring in their free dough raiser ticket and hand it to their UNO server between now and Feb. 18 when 20 percent of receipts will be donated to the food pantry efforts.
Food can also be dropped off at the Amherst Street Elementary School during regular business hours, and monetary donations may be made through the school’s website.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- New London voters pass municipal budget - 0
- Peterborough voters say no to cluster housing, yes to village zone - 0
- Newport voters say yes to police and DPW raises - 0
- Hooksett voters OK budget, police pact - 0
- Voters reject propane-only heating plan at Lafayette Regional School - 0
- Zoning measures against sprawl on Peterborough Town Meeting ballot - 0
- Town engineer, budget increase on Hooksett ballot - 0
- New London residents to vote on $1.17 million budget - 0
- Sanbornton to vote on cruisers, voting date - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Portland takes first of two from NH Fisher Cats Saturday - 0
- Readers' Choice winners say public vote is meaningful - 0
- Amherst mini-golf course is readers' top choice - 0
- Twins Smoke Shop focuses on good cigars, happy clients - 0
- 'Backstage' NASCAR passes are fans' delight in Loudon - 0
- Motorcyclist killed, passenger injured when hit by car in Manchester accident - 0
- Bicyclist injured when hit by car in Hudson - 0
- Police hope for driving dream, but prepared for driving nightmare in Loudon - 0
- Police investigate serious accident in Manchester - 0
New Hampshire events starting on July 13
Houston hands Red Sox a loss Saturday
With the NASCAR fans, Jr.'s The Man
VA woes across the country led NH to reforms
Alewives and leeches; fireworks in the rain