Group makes Lyndeborough more accessible, one trail at a time
Phil Brooks, a member of the association, said the goal of the group is to create a network of trails by connecting the town’s Class VI roads (defined as roads that have not been maintained for suitable condition for travel) through easements given by private landowners and by repairing old bridges. The project is called the Cross Lyndeborough Trail.
Planning the bridge took a great deal of effort, Brooks said, from working with state agencies to secure the necessary permits, to raising the money necessary to make the project a reality. A grant from the state covered $25,000 of the cost, but the Lyndeborough Trails Association partnered with the Piscataquog Land Conservancy to pull together the rest of the funding.
The bridge’s main steel beams were replaced, new wood decking was installed and railings meeting U.S. Forest Service equestrian safety standards were added. The bridge also has gates and barriers on both ends to prevent cars and trucks from traversing.
“Why drive all the way up to the White Mountains to hike when you can go outside in your back yard and appreciate all the beauty of nature?” he said.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Pinkerton contract defeat leads to talk of new school in Hooksett - 0
- Telling Your Family Story returns to Loeb School - 0
- Salem Public Works employee says she was harassed - 0
- Saul O Sidore Lecture Series at PSU presents Thomas F. Lee 'The Promises and Perils of the New Biology' - 0
- 'Shrek' to be Prescott Park Arts Festival's 2014 Summer Musical - 0
- Win tickets to see Billy Idol - 0
- Win tickets to see Jason Bonham's Led Zeppelin Experience - 0
- Elton John's greatest hits on the big screen - 0
- Show revives '80s with colorful fashions, signature pop, metal, rock - 0
Win tickets to see Billy Idol
Slopeside with Kathleen Baglio Humphreys: Gaining independence back through adaptive skiing
Saul O Sidore Lecture Series at PSU presents Thomas F. Lee 'The Promises and Perils of the New Biology'
Elton John's greatest hits on the big screen
Win tickets to see Bruno Mars!
No dice: House kills casino gambling bill
John DiStaso's Granite Status: Scott Brown to announce exploratory committee for U.S. Senate run