Home » Sports » Sports Columns
Tamworth youth walks away with catch of the day
Brady, 11, from Tamworth, stood with his father and Gov. Maggie Hassan on the deck of Derby headquarters, holding up the 4.25-pound, 25½-inch pickerel he caught at Bear Camp Pond, where he's caught big pickerel before.
What will he do with the money?
"He'll put it in the bank for school," said his father, Chris King.
Mark Smart, a stone mason from Moultonborough, won the second-place prize — $5,000. He caught the biggest cusk on Saturday, a 30-inch, 8.82-pound fish.
He caught the fish on Lake Winnipesaukee, on a section of the lake called "The Broads."
The third-prize winner was a regular at the derby before he enlisted in the U.S. Marines. For the past 10 years, Skyler Sherman, of Manchester, has been a sergeant, serving in Iraq and Afghanistan. He left the service last summer, he said, and is enjoying "being back home," he said.
"I'm not going to say where it was, or it won't be secret anymore," Sherman said. "It was great to be back here. I'm here with my dad and cousins; it's a whole family thing," he said.
The derby had one of its best weekends ever, said Derby Chairman Betsy Donovan.
"The ice was perfect, and the crowds were huge," she said. "The fish were large, too."
Hassan said she was pleased to be at the event and happy to see such a large turnout.
"I used to fish as a child with my grandfather, though it was on the Seacoast so it was a different kind of fishing," Hassan said. "This is an important event for this area, and for the state, and for the country for that matter. This is really wonderful."
READER COMMENTS: 0
- ‘Bow Wow Bedford’ to offer micro-chipping, rabies shots - 0
- Senior housing project's wetlands request is tabled - 0
- Salem ready to do battle with emerald ash borer - 0
- Hudson band mom ready for another Boston Marathon - 0
- Fish and Game: Skimming across water illegal, and bad idea - 0
- Souhegan High grad still on stage as one of American Idol’s’ top 11 - 0
- When help seems far away, Errol Rescue Squad founder, award winner, is close by - 0
- Merging modern tastes, historic homes can take an expert's help - 0
- Showcasing traditional arts at the NH Old House & Barn Expo - 0
Win tickets to see Jillian Michaels
Win tickets to see Rusted Root & The Wailers
Taken for a ride: Hooksett’s Pinkerton deal
Manchester schools project budget surplus