Fire damages Temple bed and breakfast
Firefighters were called to the Herbal Living Bed and Breakfast at 242 General Miller Highway in Temple when an automatic fire alarm went off at about 2:30 p.m.. The first fire crews on the scene saw nothing showing outside the house but looked inside windows and noticed smoke inside the building.
"We had a heavy smoke condition," said Temple Fire Chief George Clark. "As we worked our way up and followed the walls, that's when the flames took off and shot to the third floor."
In addition to the Temple Fire Department, crews from Wilton, Milford, Lyndeborough, Greenville, New Ipswich, Jaffrey, Dublin and Mason responded to the fire scene, and Mont Vernon firefighters provided coverage for the Temple fire house.
Clark ordered second and third alarms to battle the flames, and said firefighters managed to contain the fire to the area around the point of origin and the floors above. One major addition to the building was saved from the flames.
"One half of the house and the second floor got the worst of it," Clark said. "I think they can rebuild."