Jul 10, 2014
Jun 26, 2014
Jun 20, 2014
Jun 11, 2014
Laconia man dies of heroin overdose, Belmont man charged with supplying drug
Police and rescue crews were called to a home at 56 Arlene Drive, Belmont, Tuesday night. They found Michael L. Chamberlain of Clinton Street, Laconia, "suffering from breathing distress," police said. Despite attempts to save him, Chamberlain died.
By late Friday afternoon, police had determined that Jonathan L. Woodbury, who lives at the Belmont address, "had knowingly dispensed a quantity of the narcotic drug heroin to Chamberlain, which resulted in Chamberlain's overdose." Police on Saturday were awaiting the results of an autopsy done on Wednesday, Lt. Richard Mann said.
Police found "sufficient probable cause" to charge Woodbury with the sale of controlled/narcotic drug resulting in death. He was arrested at his home without incident Friday night, police said.
Woodbury was taken to the Belknap County Jail in Laconia pending his arraignment at Laconia District Court.
Belmont police Detective Gary Boisvert said police were not sure whether the drug fentanyl, a strong prescription painkiller that makes heroin more potent, was used by Chamberlain.
"Our detectives are investigating all angles of this," he said. "This is bad stuff, and if you've been following the news, this is happening a lot around the state."
Also last week, Salem police detectives were involved in Massachusetts drug raids that resulted in 30 arrests in Lawrence, Methuen and Haverhill on Thursday afternoon and evening. The raid spanned eight hours and also included detectives from Methuen, Lawrence, North Andover, Andover and Haverhill, Massachusetts state police, the FBI and the Essex County Sheriff's Department.
There's been an uptick in heroin overdoses regionally. Overdoses were reported in Haverhill, Methuen, Salem, N.H., and Portsmouth, N.H. A man died of a heroin overdose in Gloucester on Wednesday night.
A 20-year-old Haverhill woman who overdosed in Salem remains in critical condition at the Boston hospital. In connection with the woman's overdose, Salem police charged Jeffrey Pickett, 22, of 12 Ticklefancy Lane with a felony heroin possession charge and a misdemeanor heroin charge.
Area police chiefs met a week ago to discuss the overdose problem and arranged for the joint raid in response. Local police are working with the Massachusetts State Police, through its fusion center, to better track the overdoses, said Methuen Police Chief Joseph Solomon.
The following New Hampshire residents were among those arrested Thursday:
-- Brendon Lane, 19, of 185 Patridge Road, Conway; illegal possession of heroin.
-- Michael Guillet, 21, of 141 Golden Oaks Road, No. 41, Albany; illegal possession of heroin.
-- Anthony Michael Jaskolka, 24, of 386 Brunelle Ave., Manchester; illegal possession of Suboxone.
-- James C. Daniels, 23, of 57A Griffin Road, Hudson; illegal possession of heroin, conspiracy to violate narcotics laws, outstanding warrant.
-- Jessica Soucy, 22, of 453 Mammoth Road, Pelham; Lowell warrant for illegal possession of heroin, outstanding N.H. warrant.
-- Christopher Starr McCall, 32, of 711 South Main St., Manchester; Lawrence warrant for illegal possession of heroin.
email@example.com; With reports from MCT
READER COMMENTS: 0
- NH Supreme Court: Indigent woman entitled to state-funded services - 0
- Following drug bust, questions raised about Manchester pizza restaurant - 1
- Somersworth man charged in three incidents - 0
- Fathers of injured teens pleased with order sending back Coco to jail - 0
- Exeter man arraigned in pair of Portsmouth armed robberies - 0
- Pa. man will go to trial for two-state chase - 0
- Arrest made in fake Nashua bomb threat - 0
- Two of Gregory Smart's killers nearing release - 15
- Speeding stop leads to drug and alcohol charges for Nashua men - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Portland takes first of two from NH Fisher Cats Saturday - 0
- Readers' Choice winners say public vote is meaningful - 0
- Amherst mini-golf course is readers' top choice - 0
- Twins Smoke Shop focuses on good cigars, happy clients - 0
- 'Backstage' NASCAR passes are fans' delight in Loudon - 0
- Motorcyclist killed, passenger injured when hit by car in Manchester accident - 0
- Bicyclist injured when hit by car in Hudson - 0
- Police hope for driving dream, but prepared for driving nightmare in Loudon - 0
- Police investigate serious accident in Manchester - 0
New Hampshire events starting on July 13
Houston hands Red Sox a loss Saturday
With the NASCAR fans, Jr.'s The Man
VA woes across the country led NH to reforms
- Total Votes: 917