Home » News » Health » Affordable Care Act
Ayotte says medical device tax a crusher
"This is a tax that unfortunately is a 2.3 percent tax on revenue, so it is not a tax on profit," Ayotte said while touring McClellan Automation Systems on Continental Boulevard. "This hurts innovation, and has a negative impact on investments and research and development."
Ayotte is co-sponsoring legislation to repeal the Medical Device Tax, a $29.1 billion excise tax that took effect last year as part of the Affordable Care Act. The proposed legislation, the Medical Device Access and Innovation Protection Act, was introduced one year ago and is still sitting in the Senate Finance Committee.
Without the repeal, companies such as McClellan Automation Systems will continue to be hard hit by the tax, according to Jim McClellan, president of the local business that employs about 140 workers.
During a previous budget resolution that was not voted into law, the Medical Device Access and Innovation Protection Act received major support from lawmakers, said Ayotte.
McClellan is trying to move forward despite the tax hardship, and last year initiated a private incubator initiative that helps advance struggling businesses — even competitors — to create more motivational workers. Entrepreneurs who may have a great product with a patent, but haven't been able to reach the finish line, are being assisted by McClellan Automation Systems to get their product to the market and sold.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Outrageous waste: You overpaid by how much? - 8
- City summer: Check out Manchester - 0
- Ignoring Lyme: What are state, towns doing? - 2
- Sentence fragment: Coco's cuckoo release - 2
- Ban fireworks? Get serious - 13
- Praising freedom: While curtailing it - 16
- Fergus Cullen: No politics buffer zone - some want issue unsettled - 7
- The perfect winner: Mrs. Craig gives when she receives - 0
- A sacred rite denied: Partial justice in Marriott murder - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Portland takes first of two from NH Fisher Cats Saturday - 0
- Readers' Choice winners say public vote is meaningful - 0
- Amherst mini-golf course is readers' top choice - 0
- Twins Smoke Shop focuses on good cigars, happy clients - 0
- 'Backstage' NASCAR passes are fans' delight in Loudon - 0
- Motorcyclist killed, passenger injured when hit by car in Manchester accident - 0
- Bicyclist injured when hit by car in Hudson - 0
- Police hope for driving dream, but prepared for driving nightmare in Loudon - 0
- Police investigate serious accident in Manchester - 0
New Hampshire events starting on July 13
Houston hands Red Sox a loss Saturday
With the NASCAR fans, Jr.'s The Man
VA woes across the country led NH to reforms