Home » News » Health » Affordable Care Act
Ayotte says medical device tax a crusher
"This is a tax that unfortunately is a 2.3 percent tax on revenue, so it is not a tax on profit," Ayotte said while touring McClellan Automation Systems on Continental Boulevard. "This hurts innovation, and has a negative impact on investments and research and development."
Ayotte is co-sponsoring legislation to repeal the Medical Device Tax, a $29.1 billion excise tax that took effect last year as part of the Affordable Care Act. The proposed legislation, the Medical Device Access and Innovation Protection Act, was introduced one year ago and is still sitting in the Senate Finance Committee.
Without the repeal, companies such as McClellan Automation Systems will continue to be hard hit by the tax, according to Jim McClellan, president of the local business that employs about 140 workers.
During a previous budget resolution that was not voted into law, the Medical Device Access and Innovation Protection Act received major support from lawmakers, said Ayotte.
McClellan is trying to move forward despite the tax hardship, and last year initiated a private incubator initiative that helps advance struggling businesses — even competitors — to create more motivational workers. Entrepreneurs who may have a great product with a patent, but haven't been able to reach the finish line, are being assisted by McClellan Automation Systems to get their product to the market and sold.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Review of West High intruder case to be behind closed doors - 0
- Another View -- Daniel Barrick: Manchester's schools face some serious challenges - 0
- Racism in Lincoln? Looks more like ignorance - 0
- Representing whom? Jeanne Shaheen, leftist icon - 0
- Chiefly, Pats are horrible in Monday night blowout in K.C. - 0
- NHIAA Roundup: Double-overtime goal sends Goffstown past John Stark in boys' soccer - 0
- UNH gridders jump one spot in national polls - 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Sox Beat: Offseason needs aplenty - 0
- NHIAA Field Hockey: Merrill's hat trick lifts Winnacunnet - 0
Dredging planned for Milford's Osgood Pond