Home » News » Public Safety
Snowmobile crash injures Manchester firefighter
MANCHESTER FIREFIGHTER JAMES KELLY of Hooksett was injured in a snowmobile crash Friday morning in Auburn./Courtesy Auburn Fire Department
Fire Chief Bruce Phillips said Lt. James Kelly of Hooksett was riding with three other Manchester firefighters about 10:30 a.m. when his snowmobile caught the soft shoulder of the groomed trail and crashed into a tree.
Kelly, who was wearing a helmet, was thrown from the machine which was estimated to be traveling at 40 to 45 mph.
Phillips said the Manchester firefighters immediately went to Kelly's aid and helped Auburn firefighters, who arrived with an off-road vehicle, take him off the trail.
"The Manchester firefighters were absolutely great," said Phillips, who retired from the Manchester Fire Department and worked with Kelly. "We had him out of there in less than 10 minutes."
Kelly was taken by ambulance to the Elliot Hospital where the trauma team was activated.
Phillips said Kelly's injuries to his head, shoulder, legs and arms are not life-threatening.
He said Kelly and his fellow firefighters were not doing anything wrong.
"They were just riding," he said. "It was a freak accident."
Conservation officers from New Hampshire Fish & Game are investigating the crash.
READER COMMENTS: 1
- Talk of 'wings on pigs' threats on police tests U.S. speech rights - 0
- Brentwood police look to increase coverage after officer's death in May - 4
- Londonderry schools placed on lockdown after soldier's unplanned visit to high school causes alarm - 38
- Police investigate report of shots fired - 0
- Manchester blaze that left dozens homeless was accidental - 0
- Milford woman injured in Bedford crash - 0
- Park on any side of the street in Manchester during Christmas week - 0
- NYC mayor wants protests on hold after police deaths - 0
- Mother of two says she's lucky, even though condo destroyed in blaze - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Two Manchester women arrested in separate shoplifting incidents in Hooksett - 1
- Maine police search car belonging to husband of Londonderry shooting victim - 0
- Man arrested after chase, threatening to shoot police in Bow - 0
- Good Samaritan pins Manchester purse snatcher - 0
- Homeless man who saved woman from river: 'I don't consider myself a hero' - 9
- High School Basketball: Rivalries renewed in QCIBT - 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: Will they get everything on their list? - 0
- Tuohy brothers add new restaurant in familiar spot - 0
- New Horizons volunteers deliver groceries and good cheer, making Christmas special - 0
Londonderry schools placed on lockdown after soldier's unplanned visit to high school causes alarm
Police say woman tried to steal 15 iPads