Home » News » Politics » Town Meetings
Goffstown residents reject bid to add $400k for road repairs
A motion by Selectmen Chairman Collis Adams to add $400,000 to the $19,580,945 operating budget for road reclamation prompted objections from Budget Committee members Peter Georgantas, Elizabeth Dubrulle and Guy Caron.
David, whose last name was not identified, proposed an amendment to change the wording to read “reaffirm the selectmen’s authority to apply for and accept grants and unanticipated money.”
Most residents who voiced their opinion were in favor of the amendment, but warned that the town should be careful about what grants are accepted. The original petition to rescind the selectmen’s authority was designed to prevent projects such as Plan Pinardville. By voice vote, the amendment to the petitioned article passed.
“During design development, we tried to preserve as much of the current buildings and add on what we need, that way it’s not a big-ticket item and we get what we need,” he said. “The consultants said the stations are maxed out for a number of reasons. They’re not energy efficient, the electrical systems are substandard and the heating systems are substandard. But, they said, and I quote, ‘The bones are still good.’”
If the $19,580,945 operating budget and warrant articles are approved, the total 2014 projected tax rate would be $9.44 per $1,000 property valuation, a tax decrease of $70 for a $250,000 home from 2013. If the proposed budget fails, the default budget would be $19,596,061.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Dave D'Onfrio's Patriots Notebook: Finding a way to win - 0
- Sam Asano's Let's Invent: NoNose gets readers talking like nobody's business - 0
- Know the Law: Your trust can be named beneficiary of an IRA - 0
- Another View -- Bill O'Brien: Ask your state rep. to vote for transparency in the House - 2
- Old friends and a 'homeless angel' make for good stories anytime - 0
- Clooney gets it: Sony attack was not a 'crime' - 4
- New coats warm city kids, firefighters' hearts - 0
- NHIAA Roundup: Martin, Pinkerton top Salem in tournament - 0
- Inmate reported missing from Concord transitional unit - 0
The Sony hack: Kim's judgment of Obama
Tensions boil over after NYC police killings
'Everybody was extremely fortunate'