Home » News » Public Safety
Fire at Sanborn Regional High School appears to have been set
The fire was reported about 11 a.m. in a handicap bathroom stall at Sanborn Regional High School in Kingston. (Jason Schreiber/Union Leader Correspondent)
The fire was reported about 11 a.m. in a handicap bathroom stall. Seaman said the fire appears to have started in the area of the toilet paper dispenser.
The fire was extinguished by a staff member before firefighters arrived, Superintendent Brian Blake said.
"Based on my initial investigation it appears the fire was intentionally set. There is no indication that it was an accident. The Kingston police are working on trying to locate any evidence of anybody involved," Seaman said.
While the blaze caused little structural damage, Seaman said there was smoke and dry chemical powder from the extinguisher throughout the second floor.
The smoke forced the students and school personnel to immediately evacuate the building, Blake said.
Seaman said firefighters found elevated carbon monoxide levels on the first and second floors, but fans were used to improve the air quality.
Students and school employees were evaluated by medical personnel as a precaution.
Two students and a firefighter experienced symptoms of smoke inhalation and were treated and released at the scene, Seaman said.
"All staff, faculty and students are safe and accounted for," he said.
They were transported by school busses to the nearby Swasey Gymnasium at the old high school and were dismissed at 1 p.m.
Parents were notified of the fire through an automated phone message sent out shortly after the fire was reported, Blake said.
Firefighters from Fremont and Newton assisted Kingston fire crews. East Kingston Ambulance was also called in to assist Kingston emergency medical personnel.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Check those pool filters for another invasive species - 0
- Lowell apartment house fire claims 7 lives, including three children - 0
- Posting of recent standoff has Free Keene bloggers taking heat - 2
- State Police Marine Patrol IDs Duncan Lake drowning victim - 0
- Lost Massachusetts hikers found safe in NH - 0
- City police schedule community meeting - 1
- Missing Massachusetts woman returns home - 0
- Nashua man's condition upgraded after Hudson bicycle-car collision - 0
- Missing autistic Maine teen found in Jefferson woods - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Another View -- Tiler Eaton: The Northern Pass project would help, not hurt, NH's economy - 0
- Allen Lessels on Motor Sports: Craven loves qualifying format - 0
- City summer: Check out Manchester - 0
- Revenge? Shea needs none - 0
- Bonner rock'n the hardware - 0
- On Baseball: G'days for Berti boosted his game - 0
- Special Section: Readers' Choice 2014 - 0
- Officials probe fire at Jaffrey trash sorting building - 0
- Swamp Bats fall to Pilgrims - 0
Community groups profit from race week
Ignoring Lyme: What are state, towns doing?