Home » News » Public Safety
Friends, strangers rally around family that lost everything in fire
The Greenwood family is struggling to start over after a fire destroyed their Hudson trailer home and all of their belongings last Friday. An online fundraiser has been established to help the family rebuild their lives. (COURTESY)
The Greenwood family’s mobile home was destroyed on Jan. 31 and since then the five family members have been staying in a local hotel.
The Salvation Army and the Red Cross are assisting the family with emergency lodging right now and donations of cash, clothing, food, toiletries and other household items continue to pour in.
Moore set up an online fundraising account for the family, “Help The Greenwood Family,” via the Go Fund Me website last Friday afternoon.
Collection cans have been placed on the counters of area businesses, while neighbors have also stepped up to lend a hand.
Neighbor Morgan White, a resident of the Mobile Estates mobile home community, said she’s been collecting donations from around the park.
“People have just been so generous,” Moore said. “It means so much to the family.”
By Thursday morning, a total of $555 had been raised online, with a dozen or so donors showing goodwill in the form of $10, $20 and $50 gifts.
By the time they arrived, 7-year-old Paul Carter Jr. had already taken his 72-year-old grandmother by the hand, leading her out of harm’s way as soon as he saw flames filling the kitchen.
Fire officials believe Buster, the family’s two-year-old German Shepherd caused the fire after jumping on the kitchen stove and igniting a burner. Buster didn’t survive the Jan. 31 fire, but no one else was injured.
READER COMMENTS: 1
- Power restored to downtown Manchester - 0
- Driver identified in fatal Northumberland crash - 0
- Warning issued to teens taking the ‘Polar Plunge’ challenge - 2
- Rochester, Dover police to collect expired prescription drugs - 0
- Search for missing swimmer halted in Bristol, to continue Tuesday - 0
- UPDATED: State Police bomb squad called to Manchester West High for plastic bottles of solvent - 0
- Swanzey man pulled from fire in serious condition - 0
- Man dies in Northumberland crash - 0
- Power restored to Hooksett and Candia - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Flooding closes roads in northern NH - 0
- NHIAA Boys' Track Preview: Jenkins paces defending champ North - 0
- NHIAA Girls' Track Preview: McCabe, Parker lead way - 0
- Manchester DPW chief says up to 20 layoffs possible with proposed budget - 7
- Ian Clark's On Hockey: O’Neill’s injury leaves offensive void - 0
- Allen Lessels' On Baseball: No doubt about it, Fisher Cats still confident - 0
- Another View -- Bobby Jindal: NH should trust parents to choose schools - 1
- Taxes and spending: Washington vs. NH - 2
- Texting while stopped: Banning safe behavior - 1
Manchester settles with federal civil rights agency over minority students in advanced courses
Taxes and spending: Washington vs. NH
Texting while stopped: Banning safe behavior
Manchester mayor: 'It's the tax cap budget'