Not your average winter, but spending is up in the North Country
LANCASTER — Winter is always slightly different “north of the notches,” but as the current season unfolds, state Department of Transportation officials in the North Country say they, too, face the prospect of going over-budget, just like their downstate peers.
He later cautioned that “normal” is an increasingly inefficient adjective for the types of winters the North Country has experienced and to which the state DOT responds.
“What’s strange about the North Country is you don’t have to go very far for the weather to be a whole lot different,” said Schutt. “You have the notches (through the White Mountains), which have a mirco-climate of their own. In the Lancaster area, we really haven’t had that severe a winter here but we’ve had to do a lot of treatment based on the kind of weather” in Lancaster and throughout District 1.
Looking forward to the end of the winter-maintenance-season, Schutt thinks District 1 may overspend its budget.
There is, however, one certainty every winter, said Schutt.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Storm blasts state with messy mix - 0
- Rainy forecast forces Portsmouth to cancel Christmas parade; tree lighting still on - 0
- NHDOT: Snow, sleet causing no traffic problems on state's highways - 0
- Utilities tallying up the damage - 3
- Elliot Hospital serves dinner to those affected by power outages - 0
- Power outages down to final few - 2
- Lights, heat making slow return - 7
- Day Three in the dark for many in NH - 9
- Londonderry shelter gives residents warm place to stay after power outages - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- These all-natural candles can double as massage oil - 0
- Dave D'Onfrio's Patriots Notebook: Finding a way to win - 0
- Sam Asano's Let's Invent: NoNose gets readers talking like nobody's business - 0
- Know the Law: Your trust can be named beneficiary of an IRA - 0
- Another View -- Bill O'Brien: Ask your state rep. to vote for transparency in the House - 17
- Old friends and a 'homeless angel' make for good stories anytime - 0
- Clooney gets it: Sony attack was not a 'crime' - 5
- New coats warm city kids, firefighters' hearts - 0
- NHIAA Roundup: Martin, Pinkerton top Salem in tournament - 0
The Sony hack: Kim's judgment of Obama
Human intervention hobbling ice fishermen
Tensions boil over after NYC police killings