Keene State College opens $1.2m Nursing Simulation Lab
KEENE — Expanding on the Nursing Program Keene State College started in 2011, the institution opened its new Nursing Simulation Lab last month.
The $1.2 million facility includes five patient areas and a nurses station set up just as they would be in current hospital environments.
This new lab is state of the art and cutting edge in every way, Fleeger said Tuesday.
A high-tech mannequin known as "METIman" is used to test the students on different patient scenarios. The METIman can be programmed for up to a hundred different health care scenarios.
"They can make it convulse," said Jessica Morissette, Keene State College nursing student and junior, set to graduate in 2015.
Tuesday students in the lab were trained on a ceiling lift.
Using mechanical lifts help nurses avoid the physical injuries that come with the job, Assistant Professor Cynthia G. Cahoon told her students Tuesday morning.
"You need a turn at being a patient," Cahoon said.
Morissette said the simulations and training with the equipment they will encounter in real health care situations gives her confidence. "We can say I do know how this feels like and don't worry I won't let you fall," Morissette said of using the lift.
Until then METIman can stand into have IV and catheter insertions, and have his pulse, body temperature and blood pressure taken.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Only a freshman, Kennedy excelled on the track - 0
- Looking Back With Aurore Eaton: The Manchester Opera House makes its stunning debut - 0
- Another View -- John Dumais: Mandatory GMO labeling is all cost, no benefit - 0
- What’s the rush? Executive Council follows Pelosi plan - 0
- On Baseball: Fisher Cats prove point - 0
- Evan Turner, Celtics see upside in new deal - 0
- Thunder take two from Fisher Cats - 0
- Ortiz, Drew (4 RBIs each) lead Red Sox hit parade against Blue Jays - 0
- Nashua settles suit over gas collection system - 0
Market Basket workers urged to 'shut it down'; deposed CEO urges fired workers be given jobs back
Shaheen's record: On insurance, it is dismal
Anti-SUV flop: Americans love utility
U.S. appeals courts issue conflicting rulings on Obamacare exchange subsidies such as NH's