Home » News » Health » Affordable Care Act
Congressional Budget Office estimates Obamacare will cost nation 2.3M jobs
The CBO said the deficit will fall to $514 billion in the fiscal 2014 year ended Sept. 30, down from its previous estimate of $560 billion and a fiscal 2013 deficit of $680 billion.
The deficit will decline to $478 billion in fiscal 2015, but start to grow thereafter as the economy continues to struggle with an unemployment rate that fails to fall below 6.0 percent until late 2016. The number of workers who are not participating in the labor force also will remain historically high, holding down revenue gains.
President Barack Obama's signature healthcare law will contribute to this phenomenon, CBO said, citing new estimates that the Affordable Care Act will cause a larger than-expected reduction in working hours - eliminating the equivalent of about 2.3 million workers in 2021 versus a previous estimate of an 800,000 decline.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Ayotte says medical device tax a crusher - 22
- Aetna expects to lose money on Obamacare exchanges despite recent pickup in business - 2
- Feds to look at Obamacare networks after Shea-Porter request - 27
- Shea-Porter tells Obama 'some people' should resign over flawed ACA roll-out - 18
- Congressional Budget Office says Obamacare will cost nation 2M jobs - 17
- Congressional Budget Office estimates Obamacare will cost nation 2.3M jobs - 88
- Youth participation low in ACA signups - 11
- Lawsuit targets Congress' health subsidy - 2
- Obama administration changes rules to allow an extra day to sign up for health care - 16
READER COMMENTS: 0
- NHIAA Hockey Roundup: John Stark-Hopkinton eliminates Portsmouth - 0
- Livingston scores twice as Monarchs top Providence - 0
- NHIAA Basketball: Bedford girls top Trinity to advance - 0
- Ham radio introduction and class - 0
- NHIAA Hockey: Bedford rolls past Lebanon, into D-II semis - 0
- NHIAA Hockey: Sprague nets hat trick to lead Central past Trinity - 0
- Mass. ER staffers to describe day of Boston Marathon bombings - 0
- College Roundup: UNH men ousted from hoop tourney - 0
- NHIAA Girls' Basketball: Campbell tops Fall Mountain for second D-III championship - 0
Roger Simon: How would Hillary handle Putin?
Charles Krauthammer: The wages of weakness
George Will: The face of IRS behavior