Monadnock Food Co-op holds first 'Souper Bowl'
KEENE — The Monadnock Food Co-op started a new tradition Saturday with its first Souper Bowl.
Shoppers in the store Saturday afternoon were pleasantly surprised with samples of eight different kinds of soups, many made from local and organic ingredients.
Most of the soups were made from the store's various departments, Meat and Seafood made a Hunter's Minestrone with elk meat from a farm in Warner.
It's a great way to showcase the unique product to customers, Meat and Seafood manager Matt West said.
Co-op vendors Nicole's Cookies and Harlow Farm also passed out soups as well as nonprofit The Keene Community Kitchen.
"It's a good day for soup," said Daniel White of Keene.
A co-op regular, White said he rushed down to the store Saturday when he heard about the Souper Bowl.
He and his two-year old sog Jack made their way through the store sampling the soups.
They enjoyed the Prepared Food Departments gluten and dairy-free Mulligatawny Stew best, White said.
The idea behind the Souper Bowl is to give people recipes and ideas of how to prepare local and fresh ingredients for Super Bowl parties in the area, said Co-op marketing director Jen Risley.
Unfortunately copies of the recipes were snapped up early on in the event so recipes would also be put up online, she said.
Recipes are available online at www.monadnockfood.coop/event/souper-bowl-party/.
To improve the chance of seeing your comment posted here or published in the New Hampshire Union Leader:
- Identify yourself. Accounts using fake or incomplete names are suspended regardless of the quality of posts.
- Say something new, stay on topic, keep it short.
- Links to outside URLs are discouraged, if used they should be on topic.
- Avoid comments in bad taste, write well, avoid using all capital letters
- Don't cite facts about individuals or businesses without providing a means to verify the claim
- If you see an objectionable comment please click the "Report Abuse" button and be sure to tell us why.
Note: Comments are the opinion of the respective poster and not of the publisher.Be the first to comment.