Dec 4, 2014
Oct 30, 2014
Oct 2, 2014
Sep 25, 2014
Complex domestic violence law left victim exposed
On Monday, Solano was allegedly abducted at gunpoint by her ex-boyfriend, Stanislav Osherov, 22, of Massachusetts, and taken to a Nashua motel, where she was allegedly tied up and sexually assaulted.
“On a personal note, I think judges — none of them — ever want to see anything happen to someone,” said Kelly. “Each of us has a job to do, and we have to look at what the law says.”
Kelly acknowledges that domestic violence petitions are sometimes difficult to understand, and that he often retrieves a copy of the state statutes to review when making decisions on specific requests.
“There are some statutes that tend to create confusion,” he said, stressing the domestic violence and stalking petitions are very similar.
Although Solano’s domestic violence petition was denied, she admits that a court clerk in Derry offered her a stalking petition to fill out as well. After the first restraining order was rejected, however, Solano said she already felt defeated and didn’t see a reason to fill out the similar paperwork.
Kelly emphasized on Thursday that the domestic violence statutes are highly specific and that a credible threat must be made in order to grant a restraining order.
Solano told the New Hampshire Union Leader this week that she knew her former boyfriend was going to hurt her eventually, and that her instincts prompted her to seek a restraining order last week. Solano says she is frustrated that the court system failed her after she tried to prevent her horrific experience earlier this week at Motel 6 in Nashua where Osherov engaged in a standoff with police for about 10 hours.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- NH had 17 homicides in 2014, down from last year - 0
- Two people hospitalized following report of stabbing, police say - 0
- Merrimack teen charged in threats, assaults on girl - 0
- Man arrested after chase that led from Pelham to Lowell, Mass. - 1
- Merrimack teen allegedly held girl captive - 3
- Merrimack teen allegedly held girl captive, assaulted her - 1
- Former Colonial Theatre finance director indicted - 0
- Troy welfare officer indicted for misusing town’s money - 1
- Man arrested for failing to register as sex offender - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- 2014 top 10 list of wage and hour - 0
- Thumbs-up for Ebert's winner - 0
- It's Central, Merrimack - 0
- Goal: Stay healthy - 0
- Year in review: A look back at NH's top stories - 0
- Indecent proposition from New London chief was 'chilling' says victim - 1
- Details of Reams inquiry released - 0
- Workers' rally to bring back Artie T. captured public's heart - 0
- School district to receive millions withheld by state - 0
Merrimack teen allegedly held girl captive
Thoughts as we move from one year to another
'Interview' buzz spreads to NH
Details of Reams inquiry released
- Whom do you think bears the brunt of the blame for the mayhem this weekend in Keene?
- KSC students
- KSC administration
- Visitors from out of town
- A combination of any/all of the above
- Total Votes: 2483