Surprised mother welcomes son home from Afghanistan
Tech. Sgt. Mike Tower greets his mom, Sally Deschenes, from Litchfield, while his sister Donna Brown, also from Litchfield, watches, at Cactus Jack's, on Thursday, in Manchester. (Thomas Roy/Union Leader)
But, after a tap on the shoulder from her daughter, Laurie Forrence: “Oh, my God! Oh, my God!” Deschenes, who is battling breast cancer, shouted as she saw her son, Air National Guard Tech. Sgt. Mike Tower of Weare, for the first time in months.
Forrence and Tower set up the encounter, which was a surprise for most of the family. She said Cactus Jack’s is her mother’s favorite restaurant and that they’d set up the surprise by telling the whole family that Tower would be arriving at the airport the next day.
Count among those surprised Tower’s daughter, Kayleigh, a sophomore at Keene State College, who shrieked upon seeing her dad for the first time since he left for a deployment to Afghanistan five months ago.
While the family cried out, Tower was treated to a standing ovation from most of the restaurant’s patrons.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Newbies welcome on NH slopes - 0
- Charles Arlinghaus: The fiscal mismanagement in Washington is a choice - 37
- Thomas Sowell: The legal system exists to prevent mob 'justice' - 3
- Another View -- Cass Sunstein: A salute to the graceful silence of George W. Bush - 7
- David Harsanyi : Run, Liz, run! - 22
- Another View -- Bill O'Brien: Ask your state rep. to vote for transparency in the House - 43
- Another View -- Harold Meyerson: The right underestimates Elizabeth Warren's appeal - 39
- Jonah Goldberg: There was a time when we stood up to threats against free speech - 2
- Why I voted against the 'CRomnibus' spending bill - 20
READER COMMENTS: 0
- 2014 top 10 list of wage and hour - 0
- Thumbs-up for Ebert's winner - 0
- It's Central, Merrimack - 0
- Goal: Stay healthy - 0
- Year in review: A look back at NH's top stories - 0
- Indecent proposition from New London chief was 'chilling' says victim - 1
- Details of Reams inquiry released - 0
- New Hampshire police part of funeral for slain NYC officer - 0
- Workers' rally to bring back Artie T. captured public's heart - 0
Merrimack teen allegedly held girl captive
'Interview' buzz spreads to NH
Thoughts as we move from one year to another
Details of Reams inquiry released