Surprised mother welcomes son home from Afghanistan
Tech. Sgt. Mike Tower greets his mom, Sally Deschenes, from Litchfield, while his sister Donna Brown, also from Litchfield, watches, at Cactus Jack's, on Thursday, in Manchester. (Thomas Roy/Union Leader)
But, after a tap on the shoulder from her daughter, Laurie Forrence: “Oh, my God! Oh, my God!” Deschenes, who is battling breast cancer, shouted as she saw her son, Air National Guard Tech. Sgt. Mike Tower of Weare, for the first time in months.
Forrence and Tower set up the encounter, which was a surprise for most of the family. She said Cactus Jack’s is her mother’s favorite restaurant and that they’d set up the surprise by telling the whole family that Tower would be arriving at the airport the next day.
Count among those surprised Tower’s daughter, Kayleigh, a sophomore at Keene State College, who shrieked upon seeing her dad for the first time since he left for a deployment to Afghanistan five months ago.
While the family cried out, Tower was treated to a standing ovation from most of the restaurant’s patrons.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- 'Cadillac' health tax costs draw big worry - 13
- Wastewater lagoon blamed for Exit 4 odor - 0
- Author and poet Maya Angelou dies at 86 - 0
- After controversy, retired NH superior court judge fights for kudos - 4
- Road to be closed for fallen Brentwood officer's procession - 0
- Brentwood Officer Arkell's death adds fresh pain to somber law enforcement memorial ceremony - 1
- Conference participants take on climate change planning - 1
- NH agencies see growing needs for seniors - 1
- Nashua to combat substance abuse with knowledge at forum - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Portland takes first of two from NH Fisher Cats Saturday - 0
- Readers' Choice winners say public vote is meaningful - 0
- Amherst mini-golf course is readers' top choice - 0
- Twins Smoke Shop focuses on good cigars, happy clients - 0
- 'Backstage' NASCAR passes are fans' delight in Loudon - 0
- Motorcyclist killed, passenger injured when hit by car in Manchester accident - 0
- Bicyclist injured when hit by car in Hudson - 0
- Police hope for driving dream, but prepared for driving nightmare in Loudon - 0
- Police investigate serious accident in Manchester - 0
New Hampshire events starting on July 13
Houston hands Red Sox a loss Saturday
With the NASCAR fans, Jr.'s The Man
VA woes across the country led NH to reforms
Alewives and leeches; fireworks in the rain