Home » News » Public Safety
Firefighters knock down blaze at Fremont Pizzeria
Smoke could be seen coming through a wall and ceiling area at the front of the restaurant at 431 Main St. just after 9 a.m.
The fire was spotted by cleaning workers who were inside the restaurant at the time and smelled smoke.
Laura Schwarzer said she was cleaning carpets along with two other workers.
“All of a sudden they went to use their machine and it didn’t work and they thought maybe there was a fuse that blew. But then all of a sudden we could see and smell smoke up in the ceiling so we called right away,” she said.
The fire was contained to the front dining area and was knocked down quickly. The dining area sustained some interior and exterior damage.
The restaurant, which is located across from the Ellis School, was closed at the time.
Schwarzer said she was glad they were there and noticed the fire when they did.
"If it had been at night I don't know what would have happened," she said.
The cause of the fire remains under investigation.
Main Street in the area of the fire scene has been shut down.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Keene State College students clean up after mayhem, say weekend riots were not their fault - 1
- Londonderry man killed in I-495 off-ramp crash identified - 0
- Canaan man dies after vehicle falls on him - 0
- Police say party near Keene State got out of control, became 'mass casualty incident' - 19
- KSC president 'saddened and disheartened' at Pumpkin Festival mayhem - 2
- More violence at Keene - 3
- Londonderry man killed in Massachusetts motorcycle crash - 0
- Fire at Swanzey dog kennels destroys barn - 0
- No arrests in incident that brought out Manchester SWAT, locked down Central High School - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Police say man stole lottery tickets from Manchester store - 0
- KSC graduate in town says he aided a wounded party-goer - 0
- 48 set to be cleared after Ebola monitoring - 0
- Report: Sox may trade Cespedes - 0
- Pearson, Toffoli score in Los Angeles' win - 0
- Monarchs, UNH brace for home openers - 0
- State association honors broadcasters - 0
- Political correctness could wind up killing a lot of Americans - 0
- Fight leads to stabbing in Plymouth - 0
Keene Pumpkin Festival has uncertain future
Monitoring social media
Keene State College students clean up after mayhem, say weekend riots were not their fault
Shaheen, in Hooksett, rallies with union
After riots, soul-searching begins
On Obamacare: Shaheen doesn't get it
What rising tide? Kuster vs. Kennedy