Home » News » Public Safety
Atkinson’s next chief will be a part-timer
Selectmen are moving ahead with plans to hire a part-time chief despite voting last fall to go with a full-time chief to replace former chief Philip Consentino.
“The feedback was immediate and it was vocal that the town didn’t need a full-time chief and wanted to stay with a part-time chief,” Town Administrator Bill Innes said.
Rockingham County Sheriff’s Chief Deputy Al Brackett was hired as an interim chief in December to replace Sgt. Pat Caggiano, who retired and had served as interim chief since February 2013 when Consentino was fired after 35 years on the job.
Selectmen also need to decide whether the position will require 25 hours or 32 hours a week; it was a 25-hour-a-week job under Consentino.
“A chief’s job, whether full time or part time, is a lot of responsibility. You don’t just go home after 32 hours and don’t answer the phone. If you have a critical incident that happens, the chief has to respond,” he said.
Innes said he expects the search for a new part-time chief will take about 10 weeks. The New Hampshire Association of Police Chiefs will pare down the list of candidates to three to six. They will be interviewed by the association’s professional board and a board composed of citizens. Selectmen will then review the candidates based on recommendations from both boards.
READER COMMENTS: 1
- Missing Massachusetts woman returns home - 0
- Nashua man's condition upgraded after Hudson bicycle-car collision - 0
- Missing autistic Maine teen found in Jefferson woods - 0
- Nashua bicyclist hurt in collision with car - 0
- Three injured in Route 16 accident in Ossipee - 0
- State fire marshal urges eventual ban on all fireworks - 23
- Manchester welcomes 14 new police recruits - 7
- Hampton police searching for missing Mass. woman - 0
- Officials mum on investigation of Lyman infant's death - 1
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Mazzaglia to be sentenced Aug. 14 for murder of UNH student - 0
- Lost Massachusetts hikers found safe in NH - 0
- GOP criticizes Shaheen flip flop on gas tax - 5
- No one has a clear claim to NHMS supremacy - 0
- Sentence fragment: Coco's cuckoo release - 0
- Charles Arlinghaus: Does Concord have a big spending problem? - 1
- Ban fireworks? Get serious - 5
- Another View - Kevin Smith: Londonderry is showing how to make NH business-friendly - 0
Police say Manchester woman arrested for punching ex-boyfriend during custody exchange in Walmart parking lot
Bikers say under-30 generation isn't interested, and can't afford many of the top motorcycles
Ban fireworks? Get serious
GOP criticizes Shaheen over gas tax