Jul 10, 2014
Jun 26, 2014
Jun 20, 2014
Jun 11, 2014
Firecrackers set off in mailboxes prompt police to step up patrols
At least six mailboxes were targeted on Blueberry Hill Road, Blackberry Lane, Blake Road and Huckleberry Lane, police Lt. Mike Labell said.
Labell said a mail carrier was delivering mail when she found an unused firecracker on Blackberry Lane. The remains of a firecracker were also found inside and around a mailbox at another Blackberry Lane residence. In that case, Labell said, the shell of the firecracker was broken because it had exploded. The mail inside the box was also burned in the explosion.
“We do get mailbox vandalism from time to time, but it’s usually not this frequent,” Labell said.
No one has been injured in the incidents, but police are worried that someone could be hurt if they continue.
Labell said police aren’t sure of the time when the incidents occurred because no one reported hearing explosions.
While any type of mailbox vandalism is a concern, the risk of injury to a homeowner or a mail carrier is less in cases where a firecracker is used because it’s designed to go off within a few seconds, said Michael Gendron, a United States postal inspector based in Manchester.
“We see that from time to time, and that’s somewhat of a bigger concern. Regardless of what it is, carrier safety is a huge concern of ours,” he said. “Carriers are reminded that if you see anything in the mailboxes that are a concern, back away.”
READER COMMENTS: 0
- NH Supreme Court: Indigent woman entitled to state-funded services - 0
- Following drug bust, questions raised about Manchester pizza restaurant - 1
- Somersworth man charged in three incidents - 0
- Fathers of injured teens pleased with order sending back Coco to jail - 0
- Exeter man arraigned in pair of Portsmouth armed robberies - 0
- Pa. man will go to trial for two-state chase - 0
- Arrest made in fake Nashua bomb threat - 0
- Two of Gregory Smart's killers nearing release - 15
- Speeding stop leads to drug and alcohol charges for Nashua men - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Portland takes first of two from NH Fisher Cats Saturday - 0
- Readers' Choice winners say public vote is meaningful - 0
- Amherst mini-golf course is readers' top choice - 0
- Twins Smoke Shop focuses on good cigars, happy clients - 0
- 'Backstage' NASCAR passes are fans' delight in Loudon - 0
- Motorcyclist killed, passenger injured when hit by car in Manchester accident - 0
- Bicyclist injured when hit by car in Hudson - 0
- Police hope for driving dream, but prepared for driving nightmare in Loudon - 0
- Police investigate serious accident in Manchester - 0
New Hampshire events starting on July 13
Bikers say under-30 generation isn't interested, and can't afford many of the top motorcycles
Houston hands Red Sox a loss Saturday
With the NASCAR fans, Jr.'s The Man
Bicyclist injured when hit by car in Hudson
VA woes across the country led NH to reforms
Alewives and leeches; fireworks in the rain
- Total Votes: 917