Manchester Crimewatch: Man’s bail conditions keep him out of his apartment
MANCHESTER — A city man accused of breaking his girlfriend’s compound bow pleaded not guilty Thursday in Circuit Court-Manchester District to a misdemeanor criminal mischief charge.
Conditions of the $500 personal recognizance bail for Sean Morgan, 30, of 207 Eastern Ave., include no contact with his girlfriend and not going to her address, which was given as the Eastern Avenue unit.
Morgan didn’t like that condition and insisted the Eastern Avenue unit was his residence, not hers. “I signed the lease,” he said. “She’s not on the lease,” he said, repeating that it is his residence, not hers.
But Judge Thomas Barry refused to change the condition at Thursday’s arraignment session. “I don’t care if she’s not on the lease,” said Barry, saying Morgan is not to go to the residence. “Do not contact the victim,” Barry ordered.
What if she moved out, Morgan wanted to know. Barry told Morgan the bail condition stands. It can only be changed by the court.
The trial was set for March 17.
Flavor not specified
Police charged a city man with simple assault after he threw a half-pint container of Ben & Jerry’s ice cream at his wife and a small amount of it splattered on the back of her clothing.
Randolph Kazazian, 26, of 33 Ashland St., was also charged with misdemeanor criminal mischief for allegedly punching a 6-inch hole in the bathroom wall.
The trial for Kazazian was set for March 17, and bail remained at $1,000 personal recognizance, with conditions barring contact with his wife and barring him from her residence.
Charge is upgraded
Police prosecutors filed a bail violation motion Thursday in Circuit Court-Manchester District Division for Corey Guay, 24, who is accused of going to his former residence at 471 Beech St., and grabbing his girlfriend by the neck.
Because he was convicted June 28, 2012, of violation of a protective order, the assault charge was upgraded to a felony.
A bail revocation hearing was set for this morning, to determine whether Guay should be held without bail until his probable cause hearing and trial on earlier charges Feb. 13.
Judge questions bail
Jessica Martino didn’t have the best day Thursday in Circuit Court-Manchester District Division. First, despite the bailiff’s instructions to everyone in the courtroom to turn off or silence their cell phones, Martino’s phone sounded an alert just after the session began.
Then, at Martino’s arraignment on two felony drug charges, the judge seemed distressed that Martino, 20, of 15 Mount St. Mary’s Way, Hooksett, was free on $2,000 personal recognizance bail.
A felony conspiracy to commit the sale of narcotics charge alleges that at Pine Island Plaza on Jan. 9, Martino conspired with a woman to drive the woman to various locations to distribute Oxycodone. A felony charge of possession of a controlled drug alleges she had Oxycodone in her possession that day.
Judge Thomas Barry asked police prosecutor Carrissa Pelletier if Martino has a criminal record, When Pelletier said Martino has a December 2010 drug conviction, which carried a 90-day deferred sentence, Barry appeared concerned that Martino was not on cash/surety bail on the felonies.
He modified her bail, keeping it as personal recognizance, but doubling the amount she would owe the court if she failed to appear or violated conditions. The conditions include a waiver of extradition and not leaving the state. A probable cause hearing was set for Feb. 27.
Later in the court session, Martino returned to the courtroom with a request to modify bail conditions to permit her to leave the state for work. Pelletier said Martino works in Billerica, Mass. Barry agreed to the modification, for work.
Pleads to stalking
Mark Maniscalchi, 50, of 140 Brown Ave., had been scheduled for trial Wednesday in Circuit Court-Manchester District Division on a Dec. 7, 2013, charge of violation of a protective order by driving past his wife’s residence.
But before the trial, Maniscalchi was arrested again, charged with stalking his wife by calling her three times Saturday, speaking with her once and leaving two voicemails.
The couple are in the process of a divorce and his wife had obtained a temporary restraining order Nov. 27, 2013.
In Circuit Court on Thursday, Maniscalchi pled to the stalking charge. Under the terms of the negotiated plea, Maniscalchi was sentenced to 12 months in the House of Corrections, deferred for three months. He can have no contact with his wife, may not go within 100 yards of her residence and must undergo a mental health evaluation, to include an assessment of his medications, within 45 days. If he complies with the terms of the deferred sentence, it will be suspended for two years of good behavior.