Nancy Martland and Paul Grenier: Honest dialogue needed if Northern Pass is to survive
We both believe that Northern Pass must recognize legitimate objections from affected communities. We are convinced that a responsible solution can be found, but only in the presence of honest dialogue among all the stakeholders involved, and a willingness from the developers to address key objections in a meaningful way. Otherwise, Northern Pass is headed for a brick wall of public resistance, drawn-out litigation, permitting disputes, legislative remedies and other roadblocks.
Martland, an unabashed advocate of buried HVDC transmission lines, thinks one solution lies underground along highways and railways. That is where successful developers plan to place HVDC lines in Quebec, New York, Vermont, Pennyslvania, Maine and elsewhere. Grenier agrees that burying more lines could erase the negative impacts on many private property owners.
Nancy Martland of Sugar Hill is coordinator of Sugar Hill Tower Opponents. Paul Grenier is mayor of Berlin.
READER COMMENTS: 1
- City budget talk: How about solutions instead? - 0
- Death & justice: Officer Briggs is not forgotten - 6
- Decency displayed: Havenstein's nice start - 7
- IT overload: Bureaucracy on bureaucracy - 1
- Taxes and spending: Washington vs. NH - 12
- Texting while stopped: Banning safe behavior - 5
- Lives not lost: As long as we remember - 0
- Slammed: A Seabrook officer indicted - 9
- Abuse in school: A city teacher and a late report - 2
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Garry Rayno's State House Dome: It's time to make legislative sausage - 0
- Memory of bombings remains vivid for those who were there - 0
- Ted Siefer's City Hall: No power play in aldermanic chambers, mayor in good spirits - 1
- On Baseball: Locke pitches game in minor league rehab - 0
- NH's top prospects happy to be part of Boston - 0
- Relative newcomers vie for Boston title - 0
- NH College Notebook: Franklin Pierce's King named to 18U coaching staff - 0
- Andy Schachat's On the Run: New Hampshire makes a big deal about Boston Marathon - 0
- Another View - Ahad Fazelat: How Medicare reimbursement numbers are misleading - 0
Man electrocuted at Keene brush fire
Havenstein: 'I'm a pro-choice Republican'
A cellphone ban: Ignoring inconvenient data
Downhill: Obamacare vs. ski areas
Mike Cote's Business Editor's Notebook: Restaurant owner faces up to challenge of Obamacare
'He is risen': 'As he said'