Manchester school chief touts plan to boost student scores
The goals, along with several proposed changes to the district's policy book, were presented by Superintendent Debra Livingston to the Committee on Curriculum and Instruction Tuesday.
The goals were favorably received by the committee, however, Ward 2 school board member Debra Gagnon Langton raised concerns about both their feasibility and the consequences for not meeting them.
Livingston stressed that the district would seek to achieve the goals incrementally over the next five years.
The board's strategic planning committee also contributed to forming the goals. Its chair, at-large school board member Kathy Staub, said that Livingston, who is in her first year as the district's superintendent, has shown that she can improve student performance.
"Consequence is not the word I want to use," Livingston said. "If we're not seeing the results, then we need to evaluate that and what modifications we're going to make ... If the goals are not being met, then that's a discussion the board should have with the superintendent."
READER COMMENTS: 1
- Manchester education standards proposal derided at public hearing - 6
- Proposed Common Core alternative will get public review tonight - 6
- New headmaster eager to take the reins at Pinkerton - 0
- SNHU, NH Institute of Art merger talk creates anxiety for some - 4
- UNH- Manchester looks to move into Pandora building - 2
- Wilton school project begins - 0
- Nashua explores taking over Brentwood School - 0
- Franklin Pierce lays off four full-time employees - 0
- New Highland-Goffe's Falls principal starts job today - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Portland takes first of two from NH Fisher Cats Saturday - 0
- Readers' Choice winners say public vote is meaningful - 0
- Amherst mini-golf course is readers' top choice - 0
- Twins Smoke Shop focuses on good cigars, happy clients - 0
- 'Backstage' NASCAR passes are fans' delight in Loudon - 0
- Motorcyclist killed, passenger injured when hit by car in Manchester accident - 0
- Bicyclist injured when hit by car in Hudson - 0
- Police hope for driving dream, but prepared for driving nightmare in Loudon - 0
- Police investigate serious accident in Manchester - 0
New Hampshire events starting on July 13
Houston hands Red Sox a loss Saturday
With the NASCAR fans, Jr.'s The Man
VA woes across the country led NH to reforms
Alewives and leeches; fireworks in the rain