A record 67 bald eagles in Granite State logged in midwinter count
A pair of bald eagles sits perched in a tree near an office parking lot on Buttrick Road in Londonderry. (PHOTO COURTESY VINCENT J. BYRON)
An additional eight bald eagles were found just over the border in Maine and Vermont. Although they visit the Granite State, they aren’t part of the midwinter count.
The midwinter count does include Canadian bald eagles who come south for the winter.
The 2013 nesting count showed 29 active nests, which means at least one egg, said Marchand. “Twenty of those (nests) were successful.”
“Not all nests are successful,” said Marchand.
Nests are usually built high in white pines, but heavy winds and rainstorms sometimes cause problems. Both male and female incubate and protect the egg or eggs.
Bald eagles are 3 feet tall, with a 6- to 8-foot wing span.
Marchand said the population is recovering well.
“It’s still rapidly increasing,” he said, adding that there is plenty of habitat left to support a larger population.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Pat Buchanan: A rogue President remakes America - 0
- Another View -- Max Boot: Six steps to a better strategy for defeating ISIS - 1
- Jonah Goldberg: Wait, when did we finish talking about Gruber? - 3
- Charles Krauthammer: The climate pact swindle - 0
- Roger Simon: So why don't the media report better news? - 0
- George Will: Required reading on a Rockefeller - 0
- Deroy Murdock: The silence of the colored people - 2
- John Stossel: Don't put control freaks in control of your government - 4
- Kayla Bullwinkel: Schools must go after cyber bullies while respecting the First Amendment - 4
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: It took a while, but now they're on Wright track - 0
- Newmarket blacksmith has forged a career shaping the elementsof steel - 0
- Kathy Sullivan: We need to rethink some of our county government positions - 0
- Pipes and plans: A chance to show up Mass. - 0
- H.S. Football Power Poll: No doubt - Astros finish on top - 0
- College Hockey: Wildcats home to RPI on Tuesday night - 0
- Manchester school board OK's contract for driver’s ed program - 0
- Unrest erupts after grand jury decides against charges in Ferguson, Mo., shooting - 0
- Malkin, Crosby foil Bruins in overtime - 0
Clinton has 'historic' lead in poll
Sources say former White House Chief of Staff Andy Card to be tapped as Franklin Pierce president
Randy Johnson, Pedro, Smoltz lead HOF ballot
Tough task for NH budget writers
Pipes and plans: A chance to show up Mass.
Teacher 'thrilled' at being reinstated
Paul, Christie share lead in primary poll