Home » News » Public Safety
Neighbors attempted to rescue tenant from Manchester blaze
A fire ravaged this apartment building at 169 Joliette Street in Manchester early Friday, killing one resident and attracting gawkers, a neigbor said.MICHAEL COUSINEAU/Union Leader
She called 9-1-1 while her husband ran up the outside stairs and went into the third-floor hallway. But he said the smoke - "so thick, so black and acrid" - held him back. He screamed in vain.
The Toccis, however, couldn't save their neighbor.
Sullivan, 31, had moved into his apartment at 169 Joliette St. around New Year's Day, according to the Toccis. Sullivan was a drummer in a band, Mr. Tocci said.
The Toccis, married in August, returned Saturday to the second-floor apartment where they hosted family for Thanksgiving.
He rented the place last February, and his wife moved in last August. Now they are staying with family for the time being.
"It's still undetermined, and it's still under investigation," said District Fire Chief Al Poulin.
Other tenants included a woman who lived on the second floor for more than 20 years and her daughter and two grandchildren who lived in a first-floor apartment, according to the Toccis.
In the past two days, he said, he had seen "hundreds of cars just taking a look and taking pictures."
READER COMMENTS: 1
- Abby says it's incredible to be home; mom tells TODAY daughter did not run away - 9
- Dozens of ill Keith Urban fans treated at concert near Boston - 0
- Five hikers rescued in separate incidents Saturday - 2
- Powerboat hits canoe on Winnipesaukee - 5
- Police search for driver in Hollis hit-and-run - 1
- Canoe, powerboat collide on Lake Winnipesaukee - 0
- Brothers escape being hit by circling boat - 1
- Cornish truck driver charged in fatal Merrimack crash - 3
- Truck flips on I-93 at Exit 4 on-ramp in Londonderry - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Distracted legislating: Our baseless cellphone ban - 0
- Another View -- Betsy McCaughey: Our free lunch President - 0
- Another View -- Karlyn Borysenko: Workplace bullying is a serious problem, governor - 0
- Workplace abuse: Governor gets one right - 0
- Red Sox pull Lester from Wednesday start amid trade rumors - 0
- Accused Abby kidnapper Kibby had past minor brushes with police - 0
- Police say youths at New Boston underage drinking party resisted arrest - 0
- Man hospitalized following Rochester shooting; suspect still at large - 0
- Muskrats, Swamp Bats split twinbill - 0
Win tickets to see ZZ Top
Win tickets to see the Pretty Reckless
Abby's alleged kidnapper held on $1M bail
Win tickets to see Ziggy Marley
When company comes, opt for variety
Dover man sought in Rochester shooting
Supporters are now 'Abby Strong'
Canobie Lake Park shuts down popular ride