Clothes for the conscientious make inroads
HOOKSETT - More consumers are looking for ecologically sustainable and socially responsible products, and the fashion industry is taking notice.
"Alternative Fashion 2014," billed as "an eco fashion show event," will take place Saturday, Feb. 1, at Southern New Hampshire University's Dining Banquet Hall, 2500 North River Road, from 4-8 p.m.
Ten percent of the $20 ticket price will benefit Sewing Confidence, a program of Rubia, Inc., that empowers resettled refugee women by teaching them sewing skills to create fashion accessories.
The event will include a fashion show produced by New Hampshire native Alyssa Couture and featuring "eco fashion" collections, music by Om Frequency and refreshments from A Market Natural Foods.
Priya Samant, founder of Earth Frendz, which works with artisans in impoverished areas in India; Martha Jackson, founder of Restored by Design, who works with recycled materials; and Thandi Tshabangu-Soko, director of Sewing Confidence are the featured speakers.Vendors selling alternative clothing, jewelry, beauty products and accessories will include Ecolissa, Sewing Confidence, Vintage Re-Bloomed, Peaceful Fashions, OutFITters Thrift Store, Earth Frendz, My Heidi Bag, Bamboo Naturals, Young Living Essential Oils and Blissfully Organic.For more information on the show, visit alyssaleecouture.com.
To improve the chance of seeing your comment posted here or published in the New Hampshire Union Leader:
- Identify yourself. Accounts using fake or incomplete names are suspended regardless of the quality of posts.
- Say something new, stay on topic, keep it short.
- Links to outside URLs are discouraged, if used they should be on topic.
- Avoid comments in bad taste, write well, avoid using all capital letters
- Don't cite facts about individuals or businesses without providing a means to verify the claim
- If you see an objectionable comment please click the "Report Abuse" button and be sure to tell us why.
Note: Comments are the opinion of the respective poster and not of the publisher.Be the first to comment.