Home » News » Public Safety
Cause of Wednesday Tilton fire undetermined
Tilton-Northfield firefighters and emergency medical crews were called to 29 North Windy Road by a caller reporting smoke from the building at 7:55 p.m., according to Interim Deputy Chief Tim Joubert.
Firefighters arriving on the scene minutes later found "a significant smoke condition" in the building, a single-family residence, which was a modified mobile home, Joubert said.
Capt. Sean Valovanie called for a first alarm to bring firefighters from surrounding towns to the scene and to cover the Tilton-Northfield station.
"Tilton-Northfield's Engine 3 crew conducted an aggressive interior attack, quickly finding the seat of the fire and knocking it down," Joubert said.
A Franklin crew helped stretch a back-up attack line. The fire was quickly brought under control, which allowed fire crews to check for possible extensions of the fire and to start to overhaul the structure "within a short time of arriving on scene," Joubert said.
Damage to the structure was extensive, he said, with significant smoke, heat and water damage throughout. Joubert estimated the damage to be at least $150,000.
"The building was unoccupied and the cause of the fire undetermined at this time," Joubert said.
Fire departments from Franklin, Sanbornton and Belmont responded to the scene, providing manpower and water. Laconia and New Hampton firefighters provided station coverage. Tilton Police provided assistance at the scene.
"The first arriving crew did an excellent job. They knew exactly where the home was located and were able to plan while responding resulting in a quick and effective mitigation of the hazard," said Fire Chief Mike Robinson.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Police hope for driving dream, but prepared for driving nightmare in Loudon - 0
- Police investigate serious accident in Manchester - 0
- Wakefield woman dies in crash; Rye woman crashes into utility pole - 0
- Wakefield woman killed in Milton crash - 0
- Portsmouth police locate, arrest driver after accident - 0
- Two vehicle crash in Milton ends with one driver sustaining fatal injuries - 0
- Assisted living facility proposed for Londonderry - 0
- Plaistow police chief passes away after battle with cancer - 0
- Fire damages building at Jaffrey transfer station - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Portland takes first of two from NH Fisher Cats Saturday - 0
- Readers' Choice winners say public vote is meaningful - 0
- Amherst mini-golf course is readers' top choice - 0
- Twins Smoke Shop focuses on good cigars, happy clients - 0
- 'Backstage' NASCAR passes are fans' delight in Loudon - 0
- Motorcyclist killed, passenger injured when hit by car in Manchester accident - 0
- Bonners host charity music festival in Portsmouth - 0
- He knows the Memorial Wall, name by name - 0
- NH to host New England governors, Eastern Canadian premiers in Mount Washington - 0
New Hampshire events starting on July 13
Houston hands Red Sox a loss Saturday
With the NASCAR fans, Jr.'s The Man
VA woes across the country led NH to reforms
Alewives and leeches; fireworks in the rain