John Stark students get close look at forensics
Dr. Thomas Andrew, the state's chief medical examiner, visits John Stark Regional High School twice a year to lecture students about his work in the field of forensics. (COURTESY)
"But what really made me excited was when the medical examiner came to school and talked to us about all the things that go into his job," said Holmes. "I was thinking about majoring in forensics, but that really solidified it for me."
"We are so fortunate to have the leading expert in New Hampshire lecture to our classes," said Brady. "The students typically find him to be a great blend — he's informative, interesting and funny."
"I've always been strong in science and math, and when I watched the show "CSI" and took the forensics classes in high school, I knew this is definitely what I wanted to do in my future," said Laramee. "I loved the hands-on work that Mrs. Brady let us do, and I loved being in the lab."
Holmes may be following in Laramee's footsteps. She's already been accepted into the forensics program at the University of New Haven, her top choice school.
"I know that I have been successful with my students when they come in and complain that I have ruined the TV show "CSI" for them; they can no longer just watch it because they find themselves analyzing the evidence and character's choices," said Brady. "They're using the critical thinking skills they learned in class."
READER COMMENTS: 27
- A mom's bail: Getting it right - 0
- Clooney gets it: Sony attack was not a 'crime' - 12
- Proof of Santa here: Hooksett's Dick Marshall, for one - 0
- Christmas spirit: Do you have more than a homeless man? - 1
- The Sony hack: Kim's judgment of Obama - 47
- Obama gets smoked: Castros celebrate in Havana - 38
- On naming the victim: It is Kibby's story now - 0
- After Newtown: A gun rights revival - 39
- Vermont's disaster: An Obamedy of errors - 15
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Two Manchester women arrested in separate shoplifting incidents in Hooksett - 1
- Maine police search car belonging to husband of Londonderry shooting victim - 0
- Man arrested after chase, threatening to shoot police in Bow - 0
- Good Samaritan pins Manchester purse snatcher - 0
- Homeless man who saved woman from river: 'I don't consider myself a hero' - 9
- High School Basketball: Rivalries renewed in QCIBT - 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: Will they get everything on their list? - 0
- Tuohy brothers add new restaurant in familiar spot - 0
- New Horizons volunteers deliver groceries and good cheer, making Christmas special - 0
Londonderry schools placed on lockdown after soldier's unplanned visit to high school causes alarm
Police say woman tried to steal 15 iPads