John Stossel: The global warming distraction
We already waste billions on pointless gestures that make people think we're addressing global warming, but the earth doesn't notice or care.
1. Is the globe warming? Probably. Global temperatures have risen. Climate changes. Always has. Always will.
2. Is the warming caused by man? Maybe. There's decent evidence that at least some of it is.
We do need some rules. It's good that government built sewage treatment plants. Today, the rivers around Manhattan are so clean that I swim in them. It's good that we forced industry to stop polluting the air. Scrubbers in smokestacks and catalytic converters on cars made our lives better. The air gets cleaner every time someone replaces an old car with a new one.
Then free people — and rapidly increasing prosperity — will create a better world.
John Stossel is host of "Stossel" on the Fox Business Network. He's the author of "No They Can't: Why Government Fails, but Individuals Succeed."
READER COMMENTS: 14
- Mark Hayward's City Matters: They fight to free pond for Manchester skaters - 1
- City Matters: Another storm, another chance to do your part for your city to do the right thing - 2
- City Matters: Manchester man wants apology from police - 2
- Mark Hayward's City Matters: Crossing guards endure rush hour rudeness - 8
- Mark Hayward's City Matters: Readers come through for frustrated Penguin Plunger - 0
- Mark Hayward's City Matters: Special Olympian says price to Plunge too high - 4
- Mark Hayward's City Matters: Manchester celebrates Martin Luther King legacy - 1
- Mark Hayward's City Matters: Innocence lost, justice delayed - 0
- Mark Hayward's City Matters: Dig deep in NH history to find reason for slippery sidewalks - 6
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Manchester police search for bank robber - 0
- Police investigating possible stabbing of man, 22, on Lake Avenue - 0
- As city health costs soar, ‘wellness’ post pushed in Manchester - 7
- Katie McQuaid's Scene in Manchester: Parents share what 'CJ' taught them - 0
- Gilford High junior surprised by Francis Wayland Parker honor - 0
- Police bill disputed by Stewartstown and Colebrook ends up in court - 0
- New to Nottingham, fire victims plan to stay - 0
- ‘Coffee with a Cop’ promotes police, community relations - 0
- Arts-based charter high school in Derry begins accepting applications - 0
License revocations for DWI announced
Police at scene of Center Ossipee shooting
New to Nottingham, fire victims plan to stay
Litchfield man found stabbed
Scott Brown's latest step stirs the pot
Hooksett's choices: Leave them to parents