Home » News » Public Safety
Eight displaced in Franklin blaze
FRANKLIN - Eight people fled into the frigid cold early Thursday morning when their Auburn Street residence caught fire.
The second-alarm blaze was reported at 1:05 a.m. and when firefighters arrived on scene five minutes later, smoke alarms were sounding throughout the multi-family home and all eight occupants were safely out of the building, located at 18 Auburn St.
One resident was evaluated by EMTs but was not transported to the hospital, according to a fire official.
Residents took shelter at a neighbor's home and the Red Cross was notified to make lodging arrangements for them.
Firefighters had a tough time locating the flames which went into the walls and floors, as well as battling the blaze due to ice and the extreme cold. It took a little more than two hours for the fire crews to get the blaze under control.
One firefighter slipped on ice and was later examined at the hospital.
Officials believe the fire was caused by a second floor fireplace.
Seven area fire departments assisted at the scene while Andover Fire Department and Penacook Rescue covered the station. They ended up being called out to extinguish a vehicle fire.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Weare shakes its head at police department saga - 0
- Keene State College students clean up after mayhem, say weekend riots were not their fault - 2
- Londonderry man killed in I-495 off-ramp crash identified - 0
- American Ambulance Service gets accreditation from industry group - 0
- Canaan man dies after vehicle falls on him - 1
- Police say party near Keene State got out of control, became 'mass casualty incident' - 19
- KSC president 'saddened and disheartened' at Pumpkin Festival mayhem - 2
- More violence at Keene - 3
- Londonderry man killed in Massachusetts motorcycle crash - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Flash mob workshop will be a 'Thriller' - 0
- Former Royals slugger and current Giants scout Balboni's heart remains with San Francisco - 0
- Your Turn, NH -- Kelley Tambouris: I am a Manchester teacher, and I need more support - 0
- What rising tide? Kuster vs. Kennedy - 0
- Government thinks it's your right not to know - 0
- On Obamacare: Shaheen doesn't get it - 0
- Two nonprofits receive a 'quick' $25,000 after pitch - 0
- Big step forward for Littleton outdoor footwear manufacturer - 0
- Manning sets mark for TD passes in Broncos' blowout of Niners - 0
Keene Pumpkin Festival has uncertain future
Keene State College students clean up after mayhem, say weekend riots were not their fault
Monitoring social media
Shaheen, in Hooksett, rallies with union
On Obamacare: Shaheen doesn't get it
After riots, soul-searching begins
What rising tide? Kuster vs. Kennedy