Home » News » Public Safety
Peterborough water main repairs were a challenge for workers
The 100-year-old water line is about 20-feet below the ground surface, Bartlett said. Typically water lines are five to 10 feet underground; however, this line which dates to about 1900 had been covered with material over the years from the late 1950s construction of the bridge at Route 101 and 202 and construction of Route 101.
Town employees soon learned that the project would need outside help, he said.
Mathewson Construction crews were brought in Tuesday to assist with larger excavation equipment.
The second repair was completed mid-Thursday, he said.
Those without water included the Chamber of Commerce, the Big Apple Convenience Store and Shell Station and two homes on Bridge Street.
The Dunkin’ Donuts inside the Big Apple remained open by shuttling coffee from its Route 202 location to the Route 101 one, Bartlett said.
The old water main is to be replaced in 2018 when the state replaces the bridge at Routes 101 and 202.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Another plane hits frozen Alton Bay - 0
- Police investigating crash after truck reportedly loses tire in Concord - 1
- Derry firefighters extinguish Jeep fire - 0
- Chemical spill in Newington business sends 6 to the hospital - 0
- Officials investigate suspicious Manchester blaze - 0
- UPDATED: Mass. man charged after hitting barrier at Bedford toll plaza - 2
- Massachusetts woman injured in Milan snowmobile crash - 0
- ATV sinks trying to skim water of Weirs Beach - 0
- Fire destroys vacant Nashua building - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Poll activity slow but steady in Londonderry - 0
- Manchester police recover $2,000 worth of painkillers in drug arrest - 0
- 600 votes cast in Hudson by midday - 0
- Man dies after officer-involved Rochester shooting - 0
- Faulty lamp caused Manchester blaze - 0
- Nashua school members' letter prompts an apology - 0
- UNH Law named a top 100 law school in magazine’s rankings - 0
- Musher Seavey wins Alaska's Iditarod dogsled race; woman with NH ties finishes second - 0
- UPDATE: Hudson police standoff ends; person in custody - 0
Taken for a ride: Hooksett’s Pinkerton deal
John DiStaso's Granite Status: Shaheen among speakers at Senate Dems' climate change 'talkathon'
Manchester schools project budget surplus