Dec 4, 2014
Oct 30, 2014
Oct 2, 2014
Sep 25, 2014
Man pleads guilty to shooting at Manchester police officer
Gauthier entered a guilty plea in Hillsborough County Superior Court North to attempted murder for firing one bullet that missed Brown, and nine other charges involving drugs, guns and his flight.
If Abramson rejects the terms, Gauthier can withdraw his pleas and go to trial.
He didn’t stop, so Brown, who knows the area, sought to take a route to cut off Gauthier.Brown called out to Gauthier: “Stop. Show me your hands.” Gauthier spun around. “He was holding a black semiautomatic handgun,” said LaFrance, and Brown saw Gauthier raise the gun, point it at him and fire. The two men were between 20 to 30 feet apart.“(Brown) felt the concussion from the blast,” said LaFrance, who said the bullet from the Beretta 9 mm gun landed behind Brown. Brown then fired two shots at Gauthier. Both Brown and Desmarais then continued to pursue Gauthier, who finally responded to commands at Silver and Lincoln streets, about a block from where the chase began. LaFrance said: “(Gauthier) went to the ground on his stomach.” During his flight, Gauthier had discarded three loaded handguns, including the one he used to shoot at Brown. When he was caught, said LaFrance, he had in his possession 256 oxycodone pills, $800 in cash in his wallet and $930 in a roll secured by a black hairband in his pocket.
“He didn’t want to be caught with guns and drugs,” said LaFrance.
Although Gauthier had a probation violation pending at the time and had previous convictions for theft by unauthorized taking and drug possession, his attorney, Andrew Winters, said: “There were traumatic events in his life that led him down this path ... to this poor judgment.”
LaFrance said sentencing is part punishment and part general deterrence. When someone fires a gun at a police officer, it is not just at the individual officer, she said, “but at police officers in general.”
READER COMMENTS: 1
- Maine police search car belonging to husband of Londonderry shooting victim - 0
- Man arrested after chase, threatening to shoot police in Bow - 0
- Good Samaritan pins Manchester purse snatcher - 0
- Police look for Laconia sub shop robber - 0
- Claremont man indicted on two charges of arson - 0
- Police hunt pair they believe attacked couple at Rochester motel - 0
- Phone evidence likely allowed in Hampstead home invasion trial - 0
- Grand jury indicts one of three men accused in murder of Madbury teen - 0
- Piano teacher wants statement tossed before sex assault trial - 1
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Homeless man who saved woman from river: 'I don't consider myself a hero' - 9
- High School Basketball: Rivalries renewed in QCIBT - 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: Will they get everything on their list? - 0
- Tuohy brothers add new restaurant in familiar spot - 0
- New Horizons volunteers deliver groceries and good cheer, making Christmas special - 0
- Charles Arlinghaus: The fiscal mismanagement in Washington is a choice - 25
- 'Yes, Virginia, there is a Santa Claus' - 0
Londonderry schools placed on lockdown after soldier's unplanned visit to high school causes alarm
Police say woman tried to steal 15 iPads
- Whom do you think bears the brunt of the blame for the mayhem this weekend in Keene?
- KSC students
- KSC administration
- Visitors from out of town
- A combination of any/all of the above
- Total Votes: 2483