Thomas Sowell: Empirical evidence never seems to bother the left
But there have been empirical studies, going back for decades, showing that there is no such gap when the women and men are in the same occupation, with the same skills, experience, education, hours of work and continuous years of full-time work.
Empirical studies that follow income brackets over time repeatedly reach opposite conclusions from studies that follow individuals. But people in the media, in politics and even in academia, cite statistics about income brackets as if they are discussing what happens to actual human beings over time.
When statistics showed that black applicants for conventional mortgage loans were turned down at twice the rate for white applicants, the media went ballistic crying racial discrimination. But whites were turned down almost twice as often as Asian Americans — and no one thinks that is racial discrimination.
Thomas Sowell is a senior fellow at the Hoover Institution at Stanford University. His website is www.tsowell.com.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Thomas Sowell: Fraudulent stats behind 'equal pay' claims - 0
- Jonah Goldberg: The left's arrogant groupthink - 0
- Rep. Adam Schroadter: Penalties for marijuana use in NH should fit the crime - 10
- Pat Buchanan: What would Reagan do with Russia, Syria, etc.? - 5
- Deroy Murdock: Wisconsin's Scott Walker calmly leads the way - 4
- Another View - Pam Hunt and Loren Valliere: Local steps can fight climate change in NH - 20
- Another View -- Nick Pappas: NH teens, young adults will be hurt by a minimum wage hike - 7
- Another View -- Michelline Dufort: Consumers would save if PSNH sold its power plants - 0
- Fergus Cullen -- Innis: school to business to Congress? - 6
READER COMMENTS: 0
- NHIAA Boys' Track Preview: Jenkins paces defending champ North - 0
- NHIAA Girls' Track Preview: McCabe, Parker lead way - 0
- Manchester DPW chief says up to 20 layoffs possible with proposed budget - 7
- Ian Clark's On Hockey: O’Neill’s injury leaves offensive void - 0
- Allen Lessels' On Baseball: No doubt about it, Fisher Cats still confident - 0
- Another View -- Bobby Jindal: NH should trust parents to choose schools - 1
- Taxes and spending: Washington vs. NH - 2
- Texting while stopped: Banning safe behavior - 1
- 9th-inning error sends Red Sox to third straight loss - 0
Rep. Shea-Porter honored for efforts to aid in health care by National Association of Community Health Centers
Manchester settles with federal civil rights agency over minority students in advanced courses