All Sections

Home  Editorials

Tuition and residency: Live in NH legally or pay more

January 21. 2014 7:28PM

If you are a legal resident of Massachusetts, you would have to pay out-of-state tuition rates at University System of New Hampshire institutions. The same should apply if you are a legal resident of Mexico.

House Bill 474, before the Legislature today, would grant in-state tuition rates to illegal aliens who have diplomas or equivalency certificates from New Hampshire high schools, or who attended a New Hampshire high school for three years.

There is one reason and one reason only that this bill is the first one on the calendar in the third week of the 2014 legislative session. New Hampshire Democrats hope to use immigration as a wedge issue in the 2014 elections. The costs to the University System of New Hampshire or to legal residents who might lose their spots at UNH are of no concern.

The bill would grant in-state tuition on the condition that the prospective students apply for legal residency. Why not wait until they have attained legal residency, then give them the in-state tuition they have at that point earned? Because the 2014 elections are coming fast.

Education Editorial

Newsletter Signup